Cas Is Back: 2013

On Stark's jet, Natasha sits in the back while Tony sits in the cockpit on the phone.

"Yeah I found her.... No she's okay.... She took a hit, but she'll bounce back. Affirmative. We'll be back, but I think we'll take our time, give some breathing space... We'll need some patching up for her when we get back."

Tony hangs up and stands from the pilot seat. He looks over to Natasha who is holding a blood soaked towel inbetween her forearms on the table.

He sighs, walking over to her. "Here, let me help."

She releases the towel and lets her forearms face the ceiling, two sets of deep gashing claw marks still leaking blood come into view.

Tony goes and gets a first aid kit from the back of the jet and returns, sitting opposite Natasha.

"This'll probably hurt." Tony takes a wipe with disinfectant on it and begins cleaning the wounds.

He looks up periodically to Natasha but her expression is unwavering, she remains focused on her arms.

Natasha starts the conversation. "So you're pager worked?" Natasha doesn't look up, neither does Tony.

"Yeah, took me 12 minutes to get from Pennsylvania to Atlanta after you sent the signal. Not a bad idea if I do say so myself."

"Does everyone have one?"

"Everyone accept Thor and Banner. For obvious reasons."

Tony pulls out a syringe and looks at Natasha. "Morphine?"

"No." She shakes her head. "Just do it."

Tony puts the syringe away and pulls out a needle and thread. He hesitates as he looks for a place to start.

"They all reach the bone. Take your pick."

Tony looks up but Natasha keeps her eyes down. He refocuses and begins stitching up the first wound.

"You okay?" He asks, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah."

"What's going on then?"

"Nothing."

"Don't lie Natasha. Steve told me everything."

Natasha looks up, Tony stops his work and meets her gaze.

"Everything?" She winces as Tony does another stitch.

"I've seen you after a fight, you're normally ready to get straight back in. When you walked out of that bathroom today it was like you'd given up already."

Natasha's eyes divert back to her arms.

"This is weird for me to even say out loud. But was it something to do with you... dying?"

"Which time?" Natasha glances up at Tony, smiling and shaking her head. "I don't know what it is. It's like, I've lost my mojo. I haven't been a part of the Supernatural MD for over a decade... You know that thing where you wait for one bus, and then three come at once?"

"Yeah?"

"Well all the buses came this year, and instead of me having to choose which one to get on, they all just ran me over, each not giving me time to recover from the last."

"Ouch." Tony cuts a piece of thread. "But you're tough. It takes more than a few buses to take you down, right?"

"I couldn't have fought properly even if I wanted to today. If he hadn't dragged it out and let me take shots at him, he'd have finished me in a second. I'm weak and I'm tired. And I'm tired of being tired."