Supernatural Management Division: 2002

13 years ago...

Nick Fury leant toward the microphone for the intercom, "Romanoff, Winchesters - my office. Now. And yes, I mean both brothers." He leant back in his chair and waited for them to arrive.

Natasha was first, sitting on the far right of the table, inconspicuous as usual. Both sat in silence for a moment as they waited for Sam and Dean, who seemed to stumble over each other into the room mid conversation.

"You should've seen her Sammy, well you could've if you weren't such a..." Dean turned around into the room to view the awkwardness he had just created. "Crap... Uh hi Nicky, oh and Lady Happiness herself, greetings." He nodded exaggeratedly to the two of them as he spoke.

Sam elbowed Dean in the arm, sighing in embarrassment. "Sorry Sir, what did you call us in for?"

"Take a seat."

Natasha rolled her eyes as she watched the two brothers seat themselves directly in front of Fury, Dean slouching in his chair. They both looked incredibly underdressed compared to her. She had an all black ensemble, ready for whatever she was needed for, whereas they were matching in jeans and flannel.

"It is with much regret that I have to inform you, the Supernatural Management Division is being shut down. With the recent increase of supernatural occurrences, SHIELD has decided it wants to take control of responsibility for dealing with these issues."

Dean immediately sat up straight, ready to confront Nick but Natasha beat him to it. "What do you mean 'take control of responsibility'? We're linked to SHIELD anyway, how would it be any different?"

"Well, the board have been selecting a smaller team that directly report to and take orders from them. They've considered all possible candidates and... I hate to break it to you but none of you made the cut." Nick realised that the last sentence would cause a scene.

"How did we not get in?" Dean blurted out, wanting to get a word in. "You're looking at a lethal assassin and two guys who know more about this kind of thing than anyone else in the US. Who's better than us?"

Nick knew Dean was right. If it was up to him, he'd have picked these three above anyone else. "A couple of tech geeks, ex special ops soldiers, four or five small time, home grown spies - you know the drill."

"Why couldn't I have gone in?" Natasha objected.

"You haven't come from the most... Trusting background have you? It doesn't bother me but the guys at the top think you have an issue with taking orders and picking a side. Your Russian links, among other things, make a young spy born in the US with no other allies look like a no-brainer. There's no risk of them going rogue."

Sensing the brother's similar question, Nick turned to them. "And from their position, you two have no qualifications, and you're as inexperienced as a first grader with a machine gun. There was no way in hell they would've picked you."

Sam looked to his lap, disappointed. "So what do we do now?"

Nick felt pity toward the trio, two were teens and the other barely 23, they were only just starting out and they'd struggle to find other legal jobs with their specific skill sets. "You're on your own. I'm sorry, I wish there was more I could do - Natasha I can try and get you a job in -"

"No." She interrupted, standing from her seat. "I don't need your stupid pity job. I'll see you around." She started making her way toward the door, glancing briefly to Sam and Dean and giving a small smile. "I hope it works out for you two."

They both returned the expression. "You too." Sam said quietly, sad that the group would have to part ways. They'd all joined S.M.D. 2 years ago when he had just turned 17, Dean was 21 and Natasha was around 16. He remembered how scared they'd been of Natasha initially, hearing how a girl who should still be in high school had been trained to kill, and had done so many times before.

She exited the room quickly, pulling the door to before putting her head back through the gap to say one last thing to Fury. "Oh, and I'm keeping the bike." She gave a sarcastic, forced smile with her last mark of rebellion.

"You better go quick then. Take care of yourself Romanoff." He gave a genuine smile as she disappeared from his sight.

He moved his eyes back to Sam and Dean. "As the supervisor of the new team, I am in control of assigning missions. Every once in a while, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a job going missing, so I can give you a steady, unofficial line of work."

"I think we'll pass." Dean answered, not giving Sam chance to think. "Our dad's gonna need our help back home, right Sammy?"

"Uh... Yeah. Sorry Sir."

"No problem. I hope everything works out for you both." He stood, reaching across the table to shake the pair's hands.

They both shook his hand and Sam lead the way out of the office.

Dean paused as he reached the doorway, similar to how Natasha had. "Can we get bikes too?" He asked willingly.

"Good luck Dean." Nick smiled.

Dean nodded and left the room. He was sure Nick had just winked at him but the eye patch made it literally impossible to tell.

"Hey Sammy, I think Fury just winked at me." He caught up to his brother.

"Dean, the guy has one eye. He winks constantly."

They both laughed as they approached the elevator.

"Let's get out of here." Dean said, his mind already wandering to the things the pair could do now that they were going home.