Resurrection: 2012

Sam and Dean were in a hotel room in Tennessee, about to go out when they heard a heavy knock at the door.

"You're not expecting anyone?" Dean looked toward Sam who returned a sceptical glance.

"No... You?" He watched Dean move cautiously in the direction of the door.

"Nuh-uh." He grabbed the handle and opened the door wide to expose whatever was behind it. To his shock, in stepped Castiel, covered in ash and carrying a lifeless Natasha Romanoff in his arms.

Sam's eyes widen as Castiel laid her down on the nearest bed. "Cas... What the h-"

"We went to retrieve a special weapon she needed to take to her agency, SHIELD, but someone set a trap and there was an explosion... I had to leave before anyone realised we hadn't been killed like they had planned..."

"Well YOU certainly haven't..." Dean said, his eyes shifting to the dead assassin. "How long has she been dead?"

"Twenty seven minutes." Castiel replied.

"Twenty sev- where the hell did you go? I thought you left straight away?" Sam was shocked she'd been dead for so long.

"Well I delivered the weapon for her, I made sure I wasn't seen obviously."

"How? How is that more important?" Sam pushed.

"Well I left her at her flat in Istanbul, teleported to their funny airship... The man you spoke of before - Nick Fury? I left it in his office along with the flash drive and a note saying it was her but she had 'other business to attend to'." Castiel paused awkwardly before answering the second question. "It took me a while to find the right office, not knowing the area too well... I returned to her flat and came straight here. You know resurrection doesn't have a time constraint-"

"Okay Cas, you did good. Good job." Dean interrupted in an effort to stop him rambling. "Now, wake the dead will ya?"

Castiel went over to the side of the bed, putting his hand on the back of Natasha's head where she had sustained the fatal injury. He held contact for five seconds and nothing had happened.

"What's taking so long?" Dean said impatiently.

"Shh, Dean." Sam whispered.

Castiel removed his hand after twenty seconds, sensing a return in pulse and awkwardly sitting on the side of the bed.

"Natasha?" Sam asked, wondering if she actually is alive.

"Howdy Cowboys." She replied instantly, smiling, her eyes still closed. She slowly stretched her limbs out as if waking from a sleep and, after rubbing her eyes, took in the bright light in the room, sitting up on the bed next to Castiel. Once sat up she moved her head from side to side, clicking the joints in her neck and then giving a sigh of relief.

She turned to face the brothers, whom she hadn't seen in person for over a decade. "Holy shit, you two have changed. I've been stalking you for a few months now but I couldn't see you well on those tiny screens. Probably a good thing actually, you look like you've been living out of your crappy car since we last spoke."

"Hey! The Impala is NOT crappy. Better than those two wheelers I hear you're still driving." Dean quipped back.

"Each to their own... Anyway, I hate to be the one to address the elephant in the room but... Did Angel boy just resurrect me?" She was pretty sure she'd died for a solid minute, but it felt surreal so she wanted to confirm.