Chapter Seven

Caroline took a deep breath, counted one to three and exhaled.

"Are you nervous?" Aunt Emni asked from the driver's seat as they headed to Candid Clicks Studio.

"A little." She replied. "I don't want to go there and botch."

"Relax honey." James Eke is a very nice man. As long as you've got the skill and you're of good behavior, I see no reason why he shouldn't employ you.

Caroline nodded and looked out the window. She imagined how the next few months of her life will be if she got the job. She'll be happy doing something she loved. Making faces up. At least she wouldn't be a burden to the Browns. The little she earned could help reduce whatever it cost them to take care of her.

Caroline loved things that had to do with creativity. Nothing could be compared to her love for fashion designing. All she needed was to hold a pen, close her eyes and think and she'd bring forth something beautiful. That was why she had chosen to pursue a degree in architecture. She was happy she could use her creative mind for the next few months before she gave birth. After she gave birth, she could stay for some time until the baby is weaned. During that time, she'll take online courses or do a work from home job. She had the next twelve to eighteen months of her life well planned out. But, right now, all she needed was the job as a makeup artist at Candid Clicks Studio.

"We're here." Aunt Emni removed the key from the ignition. She faced Caroline. "Ready?"

"Yes."

"Come on then."

Caroline studied the building in front of her. Candid Clicks Studio was boldly written on a banner with a few beautiful photos. Whoever said blacks weren't pretty needed to come, see these photos.

"These are beautiful." Aunt Emni interrupted thoughts.

"You can say that again."

"Hey." Aunt Emni whispered, causing Caroline to look at her. "Try as much as possible to give honest answers to whatever questions he asks."

"Even about the pregnancy?"

"He's hopefully going to be your boss. He'll definitely find out someday. Imagine what will happen if you don't tell him about it today and he later finds out. You'll lose his trust."

"That's true."

"I believe you'll get this job. I've been praying for that. But even if you don't, this is just your first try. It isn't the last opportunity. We'll keep trying, okay?"

Caroline nodded. "Could you please keep praying for me?" She reasoned that even if God wouldn't listen to her prayers, He'll listen to Aunt Emni's.

"Of course, baby. You don't have to ask." Aunt Emni reached forward to adjust her collar. "There."

The first things Caroline noticed on getting in were the acrylic photo prints on the glass walls. These photos were even more beautiful than the ones she'd seen outside. A photo of a young girl in what seemed to be a Nigerian traditional attire drew her attention. Although this attire was something she could design, she could still tell that whoever designed it was an expert designer. She shifted her gaze to the girl's face and immediately noticed her makeup which was expertly done. At the sight, Caroline felt like running out; she didn't belong here. The little makeup skills she had gathered couldn't compare to the level of dexterity she was seeing in this photo. If this was the level of expertise it took to work at Candid Clicks Studio, she didn't think she stood a chance.

Aunt Emni walked towards four ladies sitting behind computers and Caroline followed her, observing her surroundings. A few people were seated on sofas who appeared to be waiting for their photos to be taken. Loud Nigerian music filled the air.