Chapter Fifty-Three: Nie Tai's Second Round

Again, Nie Tai ignored everything but her own heartbeat; slowly, she released a breath and focused on the opponent waiting out on the field in front of her. Nie Tai ignored the crowd's cheers as she settled into a battle-ready position.

"The match between the Heavenly Marks Family's Nie Tai and the Sacred Family's Shen Yijun will begin!" Announced the referee. At the end of his words, the girls simultaneously merged with their respective demon-spirits: a Portent Pearled Peahen and Scarlet River Otter. With a raised eyebrow, Nie Tai could feel that Shen Yijun was at Four-Star Silver-Rank; it would seem that Shen Ming really wanted to pummel the twins. Hiding her smirk from the girl covered in fur and flame, Nie Tai waited with patience for her opponent to lose her hers.

Growing more aggravated each second that Nie Tai refrained from speaking, Shen Yijun eventually let her anger take over. With an animalistic furiosity, Shen Yijun snarled and swore, "I'll repay you for that hit on my sister! How dare you show such disrespect!"

With boredom apparent in her tone Nie Tai replied, "And I suppose the fact that this is a tournament and she attacked first doesn't matter at all?" Annoyed, Nie Tai continued, "Grow up. If you're so angry, just try to hit me."

A few pristine, white feathers fell; however, Shen Yijun ignored them and launched herself towards Nie Tai. With incredible speed, she raked her claws across Nie Tai's face, sending the girl backwards in a spray of blood. Her attack didn't stop there as she landed a solid kick to Nie Tai's ribs, sending the girl tumbling down to the hard arena floor. Shen Yijun waited impatiently for Nie Tai to rise from the ground.

When Nie Tai was standing on shaky feet, Shen Yijun slammed her leg into the side previously struck. After the thud rang out, Nie Tai covered her mouth with her hands as she coughed out a mouthful of blood. With blood seeping out from her hands, Nie Tai fearfully stuttered, "I-I surrender!"

Taking in the cheer of the crowd, Shen Yijun rose to her full height and returned to her normal body. Seemingly triumphant, she walked proudly away, not noticing that the white feathers had disappeared. Ignoring the referee, who Shen Yijun was sure was announcing her victory, Shen Yijun carried on up the stairs. She stopped and looked back in fear and confusion as the referee's words suddenly hit her.

"Due to Shen Yijun leaving the arena, Nie Tai of the Heavenly Marks Family wins!"

The stunned girl took in Nie Tai's clean, unharmed appearance, and smirk. With an arrogant curtsy, Nie Tai said in a voice that only Shen Yijun heard, "Thank you for letting me win. Here I thought that you wanted to harm me, but you are very kind."

Ignoring the sputtering Sacred Family descendant, Nie Tai walked up the stairs to greet her laughing brother and confused Chen Linjian. With a happy tone, Nie Li commented, "You did well, but that was still boring; at least, for people who don't know you. What did you make her see?"

"What she wanted," replied Nie Tai in an informative tone.

"Wait, what happened?" Asked Chen Linjian desperately. He was not used to being confused and he did not like it; however, he couldn't easily keep up with the twins.

"I have a hypnotizing technique. It's easier to use on emotional opponents; luckily, Shen Yijun was paired with a Scarlet River Otter, a demon-beast known for its explosive temper and protective familial instincts. Really, Shen Ming set her up to fail," laughed Nie Tai softly.

"So you answer his question but not mine? Showing favoritism, Sister?" Pouted Nie Li, crossing his arms in a huff.

With a deadpan expression, Nie Tai said one word, "Massage."