Chapter Forty-Eight: The Nightmare Demon Pot

Hearing a knock on her door, Nie Tai stood and greeted her brother, who was standing outside. Before she could say anything, he grabbed her hand and dragged her into his room. He released her and sat on the floor; motioning for her to sit, he summoned the Nightmare Demon Pot from his interspatial ring. Nie Tai quickly sat directly across from her brother and closely studied the item.

An indescribable aura clung to it, leaving Nie Tai curious as she lightly stroked the rough carvings. She was brought out of her stupor by Nie Li saying, "Since we already have assassin-type demon-spirits, I think a more sturdy demon-spirit should be the next one."

"Let's see what remains of the refinement first. I would like to keep an open mind," replied Nie Tai, shaking her head in disagreement. Shrugging Nie Li summoned two thousand Fighter-type demon-spirits. Nie Tai helped him quickly arrange them by their individual growth rates: Poor, Ordinary, Good, Excellent, Extraordinary, and God. The twins were extremely lucky in that their first demon-spirit, the Shadow Devil, was one with God growth rate. Glory City's method of separating the demon-spirits into Bronze, Silver and so on was not accurate as a 'Bronze' with a God growth rate could, eventually, defeat a 'Black-Gold' with a Poor growth-rate.

When finished, Nie Tai looked at the demon-spirits in disappointment for there was only three Excellents. Ignoring his sister, Nie Li grabbed seven Poor growth-rates and three Ordinary growth-rates to throw in the pot. Waiting for Nie Tai to nod, he set them in and the twins started circulating their soul force around the demon-spirits. Sensing this, the Nightmare Demon Pot slowly flickered to life with light swirling around the ten demon-spirits, causing them to rotate. The demon-spirits quickly picked up speed; eventually, they moved so quickly that Nie Tai was unable to keep track of the individual demon-spirits. After ten minutes, a thick mist erupted from the Nightmare Demon Pot as the light dimmed. Nie Tai watched her brother in excitement as he studied the demon-spirit.

With shock, he said, "It actually made a Good growth-rate demon-spirit!"

"Now we just need to keep going," continued Nie Tai, moving her eyes to the next ten sacrifices. The two quickly got to work.

❦❦❦

Nie Tai wiped a small bead of sweat off of her forehead as the twins finished the sixtieth refinement. So far, there was one Excellent growth-rate Fighter-type made while all of the rest that succeeded were of Good. Around the thirtieth refinement, Nie Tai estimated that the possibility of failure was around ten percent. Looking at the fourteen hundred remaining demon-spirits, she grabbed the next ten. The plan was to make as many Good growth-rates as possible and turn all of those into Excellent growth-rates and so on. With very little breaks, the twins powered through all of the Fighter-type demon-spirits for the next day and a half. In the end, there were only five Extraordinary growth-rates demon-spirits total.

Stretching, Nie Tai said, "Why don't you go with Nie Hai and Nie En to a demon-spirit merchant while I organize the rest of the demon-spirits. When you get back, we'll start up again."

Shrugging, Nie Li agreed; when he left, Nie Tai summoned all the rest of the demon-spirits and organized them. Sadly, there was nothing above the Excellent growth-rate; however, there were quite a few Good growth-rates in both Hallucinatory and Toxic. Nie Tai took a minute to study the demon-spirits before her. While Nie Li wanted a Fighter-type, Nie Tai was leaning more towards a Hallucinatory or even Toxic-type demon-spirits. Nie Li had always been one to prioritize sturdiness, but Nie Tai wanted something fast and ellusive that could run circles around their opponent while driving them insane with their inability to land a hit. Most Hallucinatory-types were able to do just that; in fact, they were infamous for it. The majority of Hallucinatory-types had supporting typings that aided them: Toxic, Fighting, Snow-Wind. Furthermore, the strength of an attack did not always rely purely on soul force but rather the actual strength of the soul. That was greatly appealing to Nie Tai for it could give her an edge against those with greater soul force.