Chapter Forty-Three: Director Yang and the Patriarch

"Director Yang approaches!" Called out a clan member in a trembling voice, his nervousness showing. As Nie Hai motioned for everyone to get into a better formation, Yang Xin walked in, as though she did not care what state they were in. Nie Tai cautiously eyed the beautiful woman. Yang Xin was intelligent, cunning, and had a good head for business: a dangerous combination.

Nie Hai called for someone to grab her some tea and everyone finally got into formation. He noticed that Yang Xin quickly looked over the twins, as if ensuring their safety. Yang Xin came to check on the twins when she heard of the Dark Guild intruders. How did she find out so quickly? She kept an eye on the Heavenly Marks Family. The twins were a goldmine of information. How could Yang Xin let them be threatened?

"There is no need, Patriarch Nie Hai. I've only come to check on your family after the Dark Guild decided to enter your lands," said the woman respectively.

"Of course, those three," Nie Hai paused to gesture at the corpses that were still on the ground, "were killed; however, a Five-Star Silver-Rank that was bonded with a Black-Star Tiger escaped. I've already requested that a bounty be put on him."

"Ah," sounded Yang Xin, sparing a single glance towards the corpses. The woman rested her gaze on the twins then moved her attention back to Nie Hai, "Patriarch Nie Hai, is there a chance that I might speak with you? "

"Of course! Feel free to speak your mind!" Heartily replied Nie Hai, wanting to get in Yang Xin's good graces.

"With the Dark Guild growing so bold, I fear for your family's safety," replied Yang Xin, her voice soft, "I would like to lend several Gold-Ranked Fighters and Demon-Spiritists in order to protect your family."

"I apologize for repeating your statement, but you want to lend the Heavenly Marks Family Gold-Ranked Fighters and Demon-Spiritists?" Asked Nie Hai. His voice was shaking from incredulity as he spoke. The Patriarch unconsciously glanced towards the twins because he wondered just how they became so important to the Alchemist Association. Why were they keeping such a close eye on the twins? What did the twins do?

"Hmph, what do you plan to do with those that you are sending over? Is it truly to protect the Heavenly Marks Family?" Asked Nie Wei, his voice bitter and suspicious.

"What is wrong, Elder? Do you not trust Big Sister Yang Xin?" Questioned Nie Tai with wide, innocent eyes. Nie Wei sputtered out of anger and confusion as the girl's personality took a sharp turn.

"Yes, do you, Elder, truly believe that Big Sister, or the Alchemist Association for that matter, would try to harm the Heavenly Marks Family after all that they've done for us?" Continued Nie Li, driving the burning knife of anger and resentment deeper into Nie Wei.

"Silence! You two have said enough! Are you truly implying that I would think such things of the great Alchemist Association?" Replied Nie Wei, quickly trying to rectify his words.

Nie Ming felt as if his soul, his life, was leaving his body. Why were his children poking an already angry bear? Why did they insist on shortening his life with their actions?

Yang Xin immediately saw what the twins were doing and loved it. If there was one thing that Yang Xin loved to do, it was to send old, arrogant men on a wild goose chase. Frowning slightly, Yang Xin said while ignoring Nie Wei, "Patriarch Nie Hai, I've long since realized that, with power and prestige, comes hatred from ignorant spectators. If the Heavenly Marks Family does not want the help of the Alchemist Association, then I shall not offer it."

Panicking, Nie Wei rushed to explain himself, "Director Yang, I didn't mean it this way!"

"Silence! I am addressing the Patriarch of the Heavenly Marks Family; unless, are you him?" Arrogantly asked Yang Xin.