Chapter Fifteen: Confrontation in the Library

"Nie Tai!" shouted a frantic voice, snapping said girl out of her trance in the book. She quickly closed the book and ran over to the source of the commotion. Lu Piao was being held by a Two-Star Bronze Rank buffoon while another was dashed out of an aisle and grabbed her arm.

"Hey! Let her go!" demanded Du Ze, who was being cornered by two other Two-Star Bronze Ranks.

"Hm. You actually aren't that ugly. Now, why would you go and insult the Sacred Family? Women should just stay quiet and dress prettily." The Two-Star Bronze Rank teenager sneered arrogantly. While Du Ze bristled angrily at his words, Nie Tai glared at him coldly. Her voice froze his insides despite the fact that she was not even of One-Star Bronze Rank.

"Let go of me this instant." Her aquamarine eyes darkened with annoyance. The teenager shook off his slight fear and went to grab her other arm but was stopped. Du Ze and Lu Piao watched in amazement while the other lackeys watched with growing horror. Nie Tai ducked under the teenager's arm, pushed a heavy hand against his chest, and viciously kneed his solar plexus. Letting go of each other's arms, he landed heavily on the floor over meter away, unable to stand.

Shen Chue's voice attracted the attention of all in the near vicinity, "This isn't over! You have brought this on yourself!"

Nie Tai, feeling the surge of soul force, paled and rushed towards the cause, only to be blocked by more One and Two-Star Bronze Ranks.

"This isn't good! Nie Li just started cultivating a short while ago, he is greatly outmatched!" exclaimed Du Ze, who was released. Those guarding him and Lu Piao dragged their friend away, afraid of the redhead who had injured a Two-Star Bronze rank, one with a soul force of over 250, with a single attack.

Nie Tai closed her eyes and concentrated on the surging soul forced in front of her. Slowly, she could 'see' the battle between Nie Li and Shen Chue. She used her meager soul force as a radar in order to detect the minute differences in the world around her. By focusing on a specific area, she could even watch battles of soul force occur between beings. She gathered her soul force in a small spear in case Nie Li needed assistance; however, this was not likely. Shen Chue handled his soul force much like a brutes: he could only throw boulders when a needle was so much deadlier in this instance.

The shrill, banshee-like scream of Shen Chue shocked all those present, aside from the twins. The twins smirked. Shen Chue was 'lucky' enough to see into the depths of Nie Li's soul, which had been tested by battle, blood, and death itself. Nie Tai was surprised that a child of Glory City was even able to stay conscious after such an event. While Shen Chue had control over his conscious state, he did not, however, have control over his bladder, as evident by the growing puddle beneath him.

Nie Tai barely bit back a harsh remark while Nie Li picked up Shen Chue by his collar and was unable to hold his tongue, "You actually peed yourself, and you have the arrogance to call me trash while threatening me! You are simply pitiful! Do not make me waste anymore effort on you from now into the far, far future!"

Dragging the 'noble' to the window, Nie Li threw him out, causing the lackeys to quickly follow shouting Shen Chue's name. Nie Tai laugh unrestrainedly, her merriment amusing the others. Nie Li, however, lightly grabbed her hand. She was surprised by his sudden seriousness. She remained quiet as he rolled up her sleeve. Murderous intent filled the eyes of those in the group. A dark purple bruise marred her forearm, were the Two-Star Bronze Rank had grabbed her.

"Why can you not take proper care of yourself? You always get injured in some fashion." muttered Nie Li as he fussed over her arm.

"You say that as if this should hurt. It is less than a scratch!" said Nie Tai indignantly.

"With your ability, they should be far behind you." said Nie Li and he dropped her arm. With a bitter smile, Nie Tai lifted her arm to his shoulder.

"Trust me. I do not like to be injured; however, will this not be useful?" an evil smirk was painted across Nie Tai's face. Nie Li quickly mirrored it, much to the confusion of those present.

"W-what do you mean?" asked Lu Piao. He couldn't begin to fathom why her being bruised was a good thing.

"If the Sacred Family attacked someone that recently spoke out against them, would that not be advantageous to the speaker?" questioned Nie Tai as she sat on the edge of a table.

Understanding flit through the eyes of the others. Nie Tai now has proof that the Sacred Family attacked them. Du Ze, however, was not convinced. He questioned softly, "How can we prove this? That bruise can easily be explained away."

Nie Tai nodded, "Yes, but not this pendant."

She lifted a silver etched pendant with the characters for the Scared Family out of her other sleeve.

Lu Piao gasped, "You grabbed that when you kneed that guy!"

Seeing her nod in agreement, sparked ideas in the minds of the boys. Nie Li spoke out after thinking for a moment, "We need to keep that bruise dark, and we need to wait for the best opportunity to strike."

Nie Tai chuckled, "Do you really think that the Shen Chue, much less his family, will leave us alone after all of this? We have uncovered a lie by their founders, insulted their ancestors and the current generation, and we, mostly you, have literally thrown a Scared Family direct descendant out of a window. No, this will become very interesting."

The devilish smirk that mirrored the twins' faces sent shivers down the spine of the others, shivers of both fear and anticipation.

Hello, please tell me what you thought of this chapter! Have a nice day!