Chapter Five: In the Marketplace

Demon-spirit coins are the currency of choice in Glory City. Usually, a commoner family would spend two or three thousand demon-spirit coins annually. As such, this means that all items are measured with demon-spirit coins: battle armours, demon crystals, demon beast furs, elixirs, and everyday items. The annual fee for the Holy Orchid Institute is around three thousand demon spirit coins.

"Du Ze, I remember how you spoke of your family. Your eyes filled with sadness and guilt; however, you never let that stop you. You were determined to make sure that their money wasn't wasted. I can see this in your eyes now, but when will you become the man I remember?" Nie Tai's eyes filled with grief and her smile fell from her pretty face. Nie Li, of course, noticed and made a note to ask her about this later.

He focused his attention back on the monetary issue. Nie Li and Nie Tai belonged to the Heavenly Marks Family, a declining Aristocratic family. Their annual income was around six hundred thousand demon-spirit coins, but the expenses took an extremely large chunk out of that. The school expenses alone cost around three hundred thousand. In order to stay afloat and send all the children to the Holy Orchid Institute, the One-Star Gold Rank Demon Spiritualist Patriarch had to sell some the family's business.

The Patriarch was very wise. He believed that, at least, one of the younger generation would cause the family to rise. He believed that the high toll was worth nurturing the talent of every single child.

In the previous life of the twins, they never understood Nie Hai, the Patriarch. After the culmination of experiences in the previous life, however, the twins now understand the Patriarch's care and thought.

Nie Li nudged Nie Tai as the bell rang. His eyes scanned hers and saw the grief. He immediately understood and smiled sadly at his sister. She returned it slowly. Lu Piao and Du Ze watched the exchange with confusion dancing in their eyes but said nothing.

Nie Tai walked slowly towards the door, alone, and was thinking of the many cultivation techniques that she'd had gained. Her eyes glazed over with concentration as she imagined the best combinations of soul-realm attributes and cultivation technique. "We need money in order to purchase primary soul crystals. That way suitable cultivation technique can be decided, but then what kind of demon spirit will be the most advantageous for them?"

The cacophony of merchants snapped her out of the trance. A merchant garbed in grey greeted loudly and enthusiastically, "The latest Bronze Rank battle armors! They also have Snow-Wind inscriptions on them! Ladies and gentlemen of the hierarchy, you must be interested in this fantastic armor! It could very well save your life!" Many students were drawn in by the charismatic merchant. While the Bronze Rank armor isn't an item that an ordinary person can afford, there are many children of nobility attending the Holy Orchid Institute.

Students were gathered around the merchant were excited and were conversing of the gauntlets. The gauntlets glowed with a deep blue light and its surface was inscribed with mysterious carvings. The air around the gauntlets was chilled. One of the students, a young boy, went up to the merchant and asked the price.

The happy faces fell as the merchant enthusiastically named the price, "Sixty thousand demon-spirit coins!"

"So expensive..." grumbled the majority of the audience. The majority of families couldn't accumulate sixty thousand demon-spirit coins in ten years. This item was truely for the rich.

"This is a Bronze Rank armor with Snow-Wind Patterns inscribed. A Snow-Wind Banshee's blood was used for the inscription. The Snow-Wind Banshee in its prime is difficult to hunt because of their strong attacking ability, and that characteristic is also passed onto the gauntlets. This armor is especially suitable for Snow-Wind type Fighters or Demon Spiritualists!" The man proclaimed proudly as he showcased the aforementioned product.