Chapter Thirty-Five: Preparation for the Exam

Under the careful guidance of Gu Yan and Yang Xin, the public was made aware of the Soul Nurturing and Soul Concentration Pills; in short, there was an outrage. Demon Spiritists from all families were fighting in order to get some of these pills; Gu Yan set a fair price for the pills, so many people were able to buy them一this raised the overall strength of Glory City very quickly while lifting the Alchemist Association out of their decline. The Major Families were fighting for the Soul Tempering Pills; it is rumored that the City Lord met with President Gu in order to discuss payment for the pills. Not even an hour later, an announcement was made, "Any who knowingly sell pills or formulas to the Dark Guild will be met with extreme ramifications."

At the end of the day, there was an unbelievable amount of revenue being generated by the selling of these pills in one day alone: six hundred million demon-spirit coins! The twins received two hundred million一thirty percent一demon-spirit coins. The group was ecstatic and could barely keep their newfound wealth a secret (Lu Piao). After a terrifying threat from Nie Tai, the group (Lu Piao) promptly kept their mouths shut in order to avoid the rage of the girl.

To pass the time until the test, the group stayed within the Academy and cultivated. Their cultivation was pushed forward by a seemingly endless supply of Soul Tempering pills一which were only sold to the Divine Family and the Snow Wind Family一and Purple Haze Grass baths. The effects were noticeable on Nie Tai: her hair was shinier and thicker while her skin was clearer and brighter. When seen, almost none could bear to tear their eyes away from her, either out of jealousy or amazement. Naturally, Du Ze was the latter and couldn't help but sneak glances at her constantly despite his hardworking personality.

Unable to help herself one day, Nie Tai teased the poor boy that she caught staring in a serious, sad tone, "Du Ze, is there something wrong with my face? You keep looking over? Can I help you with anything?"

Nie Li swallowed the laughter bubbling in his throat and quickly called the rest of the group over to talk with them about their progress. Lu Piao hesitated but saw the glare of Nie Li and quickly hurried over. Panicking, Du Ze said, "Oh, w-well. I-I, uh, Nie Li called, I-I better hurry over."

Lu Piao and the others glanced over, but Nie Li ushered them to another area so that they were out of earshot.

"Can I not help? Do you not want my help?" Nie Tai asked, pouting slightly while laughing madly inwardly.

"No-no. I-I mean yes. You can help..." muttered Du Ze, still not moving.

They were silent for a minute. Then another minute passed. Smiling slightly, she asked, "So, do you need help? And you never answered my earlier questions."

"Oh. I'm good. Thank you. And uh," he paused and quickly muttered, "Iwaslookingatyoubecauseyou'reverypretty."

As if understanding what he just said, his face turned as red as Nie Tai's hair. She blushed slightly and said, "Thank you. You are very handsome."

Leaning over, she gave a quick peck on his cheek before standing and walking over to her brother. Stunned, the boy sat, unmoving, until everyone returned. When everyone sat back down, Lu Piao poked the brown-haired boy only for him to murmur in response. Glancing at Nie Tai, Lu Piao asked in astonishment, "What happened to him?"

"Du Ze, are you okay?" Asked Nie Tai in a worried tone. She barely withheld from laughing when remembering that he reacted in a similar way in her previous life.

"Uh. Yes!" He shouted suddenly, startling everyone. Blushing heavily, he returned to his cultivation and refused to respond any fruther to his friends. Waggling his eyebrows, Lu Piao smirked at Nie Tai only for her to return the gesture. Gaping, the noble boy could only stare as the girl returned to her cultivation.

Curious, Nie Li ruminated, "What did you do?"

"What makes you think that I did anything?" Nie Tai replied, happiness and pride lacing her tone. Seeing that her brother did not reply, she asked, "I guess you won't know then."

Nie Li could only scoff at his sister and cut the rumination channel. The rest of the time until the test passed by without incident. The group was unable to leave the Academy because of the trouble that the Dark Guild was stirring up. The twins were keeping track of the known Dark Guild establishments: the ones frequently inhabited by Yun Hua and Sacred Family members. They noticed that employees of that establishment were seen around the Academy and occasionally asked if anyone had seen the twins.

Avoiding the trouble that would occur at their appearance, the twins and the group simply remained within the Academy and continued preparing for the exam. Everyone that remained in the fighter class under the direction of Shen Xiu naturally focused on their cultivation but also gossiped heavily about the bet between the twins and Shen Xiu. Only Ye Ziyun and Xiao Ning'er had faith in the twins; Shen Yue and his underlings were the loudest of the disbelievers and constantly insulted the twins. Shen Yue would only quiet in the presence of Ye Ziyun, still trying to gain her favor.

❦❦❦

Nie Tai rose early, the sun was barely kissing the sky, and quickly got ready. She waited outside the dorms on a bench for her friends when someone approached her. Standing to greet him, Nie Tai said, "Good morning, what are you awake so early for?"

Chuckling, Chen Linjian replied, "I wanted to wish you all good luck. Is there any better reason to be awake this early?"

Quickly picking up a conversation, the two sat on the bench and animatedly started talking. Nie Li and Du Ze walked over from the dorm. Du Ze was tired of waiting on Lu Piao and Nie Li was bored. A frown quickly appeared on Du Ze's face when seeing the pair chatting. Feeling a gaze, Du Ze looked over to see Nie Li smiling confidently. Returning a hesitant smile, the two walked over. Nie Li announced their arrival loudly, "Sister! How long have you been waiting out here? Surely not very long."

"Of course not, Xiao Li. Besides, what has taken you two so long?" Asked Nie Tai, her attention turning to the newcomers.

"You know how Lu Piao is, he can never get ready on time," said Nie Li in an exasperated tone. Sticking out his hand as a greeting, Nie said, "Morning, Chen Linjian, what are you awake for so early?"

Smiling, though a little unnerved by the twins' similar greetings, he replied, "I wanted to wish you all good luck,"

After shaking his hand, Nie Li praised, "Congratulations on reaching Three-Star Silver-Rank."

"Ah, thank you," said Chen Linjian politely. He glanced over to Nie Tai only to see her talking with Du Ze. The stoic boy was chuckling at her words Chen Linjian's eyes narrowed somewhat.

"Chen Linjian," said Nie Li, his quiet, serious voice attracting the male's attention, "Are you interested in my sister?"

Surprised by the question, the noble honestly said, "Yes. Why do you ask?"

Smirking, the redhead said nothing as Lu Piao charged forward, with Wei Nan, Zhu Xiangjun, and Zhang Ming hot on his heels, shouting, "Come on! I don't want to be late! We need to hurry!"

The noble could only watch as everyone left him and Nie Tai chastised Lu Piao, "Then you should have gotten ready earlier! Take a look in the mirror before reprimanding everyone else!"

He then realized that he never got an answer from the younger male.