Chapter Nineteen

Not edited.

Chapter Nineteen

After about forty minutes later, I pulled up to Lee's place, hopping out of the taxi and heading up the steps of the building. I stood outside his front door willing myself to finally raise my hand and knock on the door, but I hesitated. Would he really be happy to see me, or had he just asked me to come to be nice? That little voice whispered in the back of my mind.

You can do this, Simone, I told myself, bringing my hand up against the door. Within six seconds, the door was opening and there Lee stood, staring back at me with a small smile on his lips. His black hair laid messily across his forehead. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt and a pair of gray joggers. Summer was situated against his chest, her dark brown eyes staring back at me curiously.

I waved. "Uh, hey, I hope it's fine that I decided to come. I know it's last minute and all," I trailed off when he shook his head, opening the door wider for me so that I could step in.

"I'm glad you decided to come." He said, moving away from the door, "Come on in and make yourself comfortable. I'll take your jacket for you," He said, taking my jacket from me and hanging it up on the rack beside the door, closing the door behind us. "You can sit your things over there on that shelf," He pointed to an empty shelf, "I ordered some pizza, it got here about ten minutes before you did, so it should still be hot." He began saying, "Oh, and I made some cookies too if you want some." He added, as I stood there in the center of his living room, watching him try to do a million things at once.

I stopped him. "Hey, I can hold Summer for a second so you can finish getting everything ready." I offered. He gave me a look of appreciation as he handed Summer over to me.

"Thanks," He replied, "I'm usually not all over the place. I guess i'm just nervous." He grinned, causing my heart to skip a beat. "I'm going to go and get some plates and get the cookies out of the oven. I also have Summer's favorite movie in the DVD player. So when I get back, i'll play it."

I sat down against the tan couch, holding summer against me as I raised an eyebrow at him. "Summer's favorite DVD or Lee's?" I asked knowingly..

He smiled. "Lee's." He confirmed. "I hope you like dumb dumb and dumber. I always try to play something to remind Summer of her father whenever she's stuck with me."

I laughed. "You're too much." I couldn't help but say as he walked out of sight and headed into the kitchen. I looked down at Summer. She had her little fists balled up against her chest, light patches of brown curls covered her head and those dark brown eyes stared back at me. She was basically a really pretty baby doll that didn't seem real. "You're such a cutie pie." I whispered, and her little lips moved into what seemed like a tiny smirk. I laughed, "and you know it," I said, "of course you do." I shook my head, poking her little nose, watching as she scrunched it up as if trying to get me to stop. I held my hand up in surrender. "Okay, I'll leave the little princess alone." I amended.

"She likes you." Lee commented as he walked back into the living room, a box of pizza in one hand and a plate of cookies sitting right on top of the box. He sat the box down on the small table before us and reached for Summer, taking her from my hands. "Let me put her in her crib for a little bit so we can eat real quick." He said walking over to the crib that was beside the couch and laying her down, before moving back to the couch and handing me a plate. I put two slices on my plate and a cookie and Lee did the same.

He grabbed the remote control, pressing play. I took a bite of my cheese pizza. "Have you always had that crib, or did you go out and buy it for Summer today?"