Chapter Fifty - Two

Chapter Fifty - Two

      Shortly after I had arrived home and taken a bath and gotten my clothes ready for work in the morning, I sat down on the edge of my bed inspecting the box that Lee had given me. For some reason I was a bit nervous, but I knew that I was just overthinking again.

I slowly opened up the box and smiled softly as my eyes landed on the gold bracelet that rested in the bottom of the box. I lifted it out, looking at the two charms connected to it. There was a 'S' most likely to stand for Simone and a 'L' most likely being Lee's name.

I grinned widely as I tried it on, watching as it dangled from my wrist. No wonder he had seemed a little anxious, he had probably been worried about me not liking it.

I sighed happily as I reached for my phone and sent Lee a thank you message and told him that I had made it back home.

I removed the bracelet and placed it back into the box, walking over to my dresser where I usually put all of my other jewelry. As I sat the box down beside some of my other things, I frowned slightly as I noticed the ring Lee had gotten me when we had first met. I had almost forgotten that he had told me to just hang on to it, and not think so much about it.

I picked it up, inspecting it slightly. It was a beautiful ring, and it killed me that he wouldn't take it back. It had probably cost a lot of money, and I hated the fact that it was just sitting on my dresser drawer collecting dust.

I held it in my hands a little bit longer before an idea popped into my mind. If Lee wouldn't take the ring back, then maybe I could take it to the place where he got it from and possibly get a refund that way he would have to at least take his money back. Plus, it would make me feel a little bit better about not having something so expensive from him.

I sat the ring back down onto my dresser, having made up in my mind that tomorrow after work I would go to the nearest jewelry store that was closest to the bar that Lee and I had met the night of the concert and get a refund.

- - -

After work was over, I had hurried over to a Jewelry store that was close by the bar we had been at that night.

As I walked through the door, a bell sounded and an older gentleman smiled up at me brightly. "Welcome, welcome, what can I do for you today?" He said walking up to the counter where several pieces of jewelry laid.

I dug into my purse until I had found the ring and held it up to him. "I was hoping that I could maybe return this." I told him honestly, "I don't have the receipt though. Will that be a problem?"

He shook his head as he took the ring from my fingers and slid on his glasses. He inspected the ring, looking at every detail and diamond before taking his glasses back off and glancing in my direction. "I have to say, this is a beautiful ring," he commented, "although, it's not a ring that's sold in my store." He said handing it back to me.

     I frowned a little bit. "Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should've known that maybe it probably came from one of the other jewelry shops around here."

The man chuckled lightly. "The only other jewelry shops that sell rings are about two hours away. I'm the only one in this city that sells jewelry like that. Are you sure you didn't buy it while you were out of town?"

      I nodded, "Of course, the person who bought it for me said that they had gotten it from a near by jewelry store. There's no way he could've gone out of town and gotten it that quick."

The man shrugged. "Well, wherever he got it, he has good taste. That ring looks like an antique. If I was a cunning old man I'd try to buy it from you, but my conscious wouldn't let me." He admitted. "I'm sorry I couldn't help you out, but would you like to look around at anything else while you're here?"

I shook my head, not trying to be rude. "Um, no, thanks for all of your help though." I said, leaving the store and looking down at the ring in my hand.

Lee said he had bought me the ring the night of the concert and that I had picked it out in my drunken state. There was no way that we had drove over two hours to get the ring..so where had it came from?

Had Lee been lying to me? The thought made my heart clench a little. I placed the ring back into my purse and headed home. I needed to talk to someone about this, I just didn't know if it should be Lee or someone else.

- - - 

Has someone been lying?? 👀