Chapter 21- An Anguished Flee

Start from the beginning

I typed in the password, ***********, and the screen unlocked. I quickly scanned around for what I was looking for and quickly found it. I unlocked all the doors to Mint Eye, and right as I did, loud sirens began to scream around me, the lights turning a blood red.
My eyes darted around the room in shock, and the sudden alarms.

"crap." I cursed under my breath as I ran over to the circuit breaker, located across the room from Ray's desk.

I ripped the metal cover off of it and flipped the main switch, only for it to do nothing. Letting out a groan I reached into my pocket and pulled out a pocket knife, which I used to cut the wires. First the green one, which did nothing, then the red one, which also did not deactivate the sirens, then the black one.

Silence.

Pitch black darkness.

It didn't take too long for my eyes to adjust, but once they did I booked it.

I ran over to the door and slid it open, but right as I was about to leave I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. It was an open drawer that stored various chemicals that was used to create the Elixir of Salvation. Glancing back to the open door then back to the drawer, he'll need them... I thought to myself before running over to it.

I threw my backpack off and placed it onto the floor, before tossing the glass vials in which contained various chemicals into my backpack, zipping it back up and running out of the open door.

Sprinting at full speed down the hallway I knew that I only had a few minutes if I wanted to escape, and my window of time was slowly dwindling.

As I ran through the halls I, surprisingly, hadn't run into any believers, yet. However, it seemed that my luck had just run out.

"You there!" I heard someone shout, "STOP!" Ignoring their screaming I continued to run down the hall, hearing in the back of my head, their footsteps trailing, not too far, behind me.

Making a few sharp turns I quickly made it to my destination. A large glass door which led to the garden. The same door that I used to help others escape, I would now escape out of myself.

Quickly pressing the bar to open the door I tried to open it but to no avail.
It didn't work.
Someone must have locked it from the outside.
My eyes widened as I heard the footsteps behind me grow closer and closer, but there were even more of them now. My heart began to pound out of my chest as I stared at the door.
I was so close to my escape, so close to freedom.
NO! I mentally shouted punching the glass.
I'm so close.
I can't stay here.
I don't want to stay here.
I want to leave!
I want to be free!
Both intense feelings of anger and fear boiled in my stomach as I pressed my fist against the glass door. I was too close to give up, and if I was caught the Savior would surely end my pathetic existence right where I stood. Without thinking I backed up, my hand clenching into a fist as pictures of Ray began to flash through my mind. All the times I had helped him, all the times I had sacrificed something for him, and for what?
Suddenly my thoughts seemed to clear, the memories began to vanish, and all of a sudden one image stood out. Ray's smile.
Everything I did, everything I gave just to see that smile. And I never once made him happy. My presence didn't make him happy. All I had given up for that smile, never made him happy.
Never.
One word appeared in my head as that smile stared me down. One word....
useless...
That one word that I hated more than anything....
useless...
The one word I always believed I wasn't... I began believing.
Maybe I really was useless.
Squeezing my eyes shut I suddenly felt my body begin to move on its own as I launched my fist towards the glass door and to my surprise, the glass shattered.
And as the glass fragments fell to the ground, some of them managed to scratch against my already injured hands. Ignoring the pain of my now, even more, sliced up hand, lifted my foot up and began to kick the glass in to further expand the hole in the glass door. As the shards hit the ground they let out sharp crash sounds.

Behind me, I heard someone call out, "GET THEM!" before heavy footsteps echoed towards me. I took my backpack off and held it in my hands, as I crawled through the hole I had just created.

As I walked through the crunching on the glass underneath me made me cringe, and as I was about to stand up to keep running I felt the back of my robe get pulled back, making me fall backward.
"Unlock the door quickly! I got them!" I heard the person behind me say as I heard someone digging through their pockets. Panicking I began to look around for something I could use to escape, but there was only one way I could see that would allow me to be free, however doing so, it would give away my identity.
But they'd find out one way or another.
Reaching downwards I grabbed onto the black and gold fabric which dangled from around my waist. Yanking on it as hard as I could I burst away from the door as well as the believers.
"Ms. (Y/n)?" I heard the believer ask as I tumbled down the stairs, clutching onto my backpack.

I shook it off the fall, quickly got up, and ran as fast as I could.

Trampling through the garden, not caring what I stepped on, I ran. I ran as fast as My legs would carry me.
Away from Mint Eye.
Away from the pain and sorrow.
Away from my memories.
Away from the Savior, and away from
Ray.

.

.

.

I ran, not once looking back.

_____________________________

Word Count: 1575