Chapter 20- Remembrance of the Fallen...

There the Boar Hat crew and Team Natsu stared out into the distance. They had achieved what was believed to be impossible for anyone, eradicating the threat of a worldwide catastrophe, with nothing but their quick thinking and ingenuity in play. At last the ultimate battle since the Holy War had been won, leaving the victors to stare outwards at their accomplishment.

"It's finally over..." Meliodas said, looking surprisingly saddened by the turn of events,

"Yeah! We blasted that jerk to ash!" Natsu yelled, with happy saying "Aye!" repeatedly.

"Just another win for Fairy Tail..." Gray said, with Erza and Wendy nodding in agreement.

Meliodas started to look even more distraught, never lifting his head up and simply letting the insults continue as shadows covered his face, which of more visible showed him with nothing but a distasteful scowl.

"How can such a despicable piece of crap ever be your-?"

"ENOUGH!" Ban yelled, getting in Lucy's face and cutting her off.

"Hey! What the hell man?!" Gray yelled.

"You should be more considerate with what you're saying! No matter how cruel and ruthless Zeldris was, he's still the Captain's brother, his only real family in this entire world!" He continued, grabbing Lucy by the collar and lifting her off the ground with one hand.

"Why you repugnant-!" Erza began.

"STOP!" Meliodas suddenly yelled, blocking Erza from Ban with Lostvayne.

"I know you may have your own opinions of my little brother, and that you have no reason to give him a chance at all. But, I want you to understand he wasn't always like this..."

Team Natsu gained slightly wider eyes at the Dragon Sin's statement, confused as to what he meant. After all, there are few who match the cruelty of Zeldris as they've seen.

"Zeldris was known as 'The Executioner' during the Holy War, he executed thousands, of not millions for the Demon Clan. But he had another reason to become so strong... it was to protect his beloved..."

Everyone except Ban now gained complete wide eyes. They could have never suspected that Zeldris had an alternative motive, or that he had any meaningful connections left in the world. They assumed he enjoyed being bloodthirsty and ruthless and. But for a lover they could not have even begin to suspect.

"A long time ago during the Holy War, Zeldris fell in love with a member of the Vampire Clan, Gelda. In return, she reciprocated his feelings, and so they began a relationship in secret. Not even our father knew supposedly of their relationship, meeting whenever they could outside of battle. However, when I betrayed the Demon Clan, the Vampires started a rebellion which ended in utter defeat, so as punishment, Zeldris had to uphold his position as executioner... and kill his beloved with the entirety of her people..."

Everyone now had looks of complete shock, never expecting such a tragic backstory or surprising reveal. That surprise soon turned into regret, as they now looked at each other in shame of what they've said. In the end, it seemed Zeldris's ambitions and intentions were no different than the ones anyone here had.

"In reality though, he managed to seal her instead with her entire clan, waiting for when they'd reawaken. 12 years ago however, I sealed them away myself again when they first reawoke. When the seal was finally broken again however, Gelda was killed instantly by my father, the Demon King, in front of Zeldris's eyes..."

Everyone's looks of self-shame increased tenfold now. Even through all that they themselves have been struggling with and experienced, they've forgotten that it's the intentions of their enemies that were the same as them. If they couldn't rise above their own desires for vengeance or self-justice, then they would be walking a different path today, a path which people like Zeldris have taken.