Chapter 22

Liam

Waking up sober is so underrated. No pounding headache, no dry mouth or upset stomach, no acidic belches and fuzzy memories, and most of all, no regrets. Zayn's soft breathing comes from the bed next to me and I roll over to check my phone. No new messages. Not from Syd, not from Niall, no one. I lazily type a message to Sydney before walking over to the balcony.

"Morning Beautiful."

This life can get hectic, the fans can be overwhelming at times, but stepping out in the morning to see a crowd of girls, sitting, trying to be quiet so we can get our rest, while holding signs saying they brought donuts, would put a smile on anyone's face. I slip on a T-shirt and picket my phone and room key before I can change my mind. I can't remember the last time I willing went out to meet fans, this has always been more of Niall's territory.

Buzzz!

I grab the phone out of my pocket and open Sydney's response.

"Sydney: Morning :)"

She sent with a picture of herself sitting at a desk, holding a cup of coffee. I ignore the unfamiliar feeling that presents itself when I realize that she's been awake, and hadn't text me. I respond right away:

"I'm going downstairs to meet some fans! =D"

I wonder how many times Sydney has been in the crowd of fans outside of my hotel or at the airport. I wonder how many of these girls are like Sydney: sweet, funny, confident, and crazy about a person they may never actually meet.

Ding!

Buzzzzz!

My phone goes off again as the lift door opens.

"Sydney: BE CAREFUL! They will mob you! lol I'm super behind at work and need to focus, but I'll text you tonight :)"

Sydney

Making the switch from fangirl to, well, whatever I am now, has been a struggle. I wanted to send info to about 12 different update accounts when Liam told me that he was going to meet fans. These are the same update accounts I've been ignoring for the past week, but for information like that, I doubt they would care. It's time for me to accept my new position in the world though, and the privacy that's expected to come with it. But what's the point in having inside information if I don't get to share it?

The work day went by quickly once I was able to focus. I just kept telling myself that the quicker I finished, the quicker I could get home and talk to Liam. I wonder if he would want to call me, or if we would just text. I always get nervous talking on the phone, I need time to analyze and double think my responses, I am afraid of awkward lulls in the conversation, and my hands literally sweat while I pace my front yard. And yet, I want so badly to hear his voice, especially when it's sleepy. It would be a dream come true to have sleepy, raspy Liam, sing me to sleep, while running his fingers through my hair.

Ugh!

I need to quit!

I pull into my drive way and park my car behind Rae's.

"Good Evening :)"

I send to Liam.

"How did last night go ;)"

I type out to Britt.

I pocket my phone and head into my house, careful to make as little noise as possible so I don't alert Zerrie. I tiptoe down the hall to my bedroom and slowly open the door, flipping the light on as I step inside. Zerrie lifts her head from my pillow and looks at me in greeting, too lazy to get up and give me a proper homecoming. I toss my bag on the bed next to her and begin digging for something to change into. I haven’t done laundry since before the concert and the only bottoms I can find are pants. I begin to slip on the uncomfortable looking flannel pajama bottoms when the shoe box haphazardly tossed on top of my dresser catches my eye. I smile and let the pants fall off my ankles as I rip the top off the box and pull out my treasures. I’m not completely crazy, but, I bury my face into the fabric hoping to smell of hint of Liam again before putting on his boxers. The scent of the fabric softener brings back the warmth in my chest that I felt just two mornings ago when waking up in his arms. I miss his smile.