Chapter 1

Harry

“Fuck it! If he wants to kill himself fine, but I’m not going to sit around and watch!”

I wince as the door slams, leaving our crowded hotel room feeling empty with silence. I look around at my brothers, breathing in the heavy dread that fills the air; I wait for one of them to speak first.

“Maybe he just needs a good slap in the face mate?”

In response, the unconscious body on the bed rolls over and spews 2 bottles worth of tequila onto the pristine Persian rug of our 5 star suite.

“See! See what you made him do? Just leave him alone.” Zayn shouted back, struggling not to slur his words.

I stand up to make my way to the bathroom as the smell of Liam’s vomit begins to make itself known.

“You’re not leaving me here with them, are you?”

“No, but someone needs to clean the mess.”

“Housekeep…”

“ …and all the housekeepers will be reporting to the media that they had to clean up vomit in our suite, no thank you. “

Understanding my point, Niall follows me to the bathroom. Wetting the gathered up wash rags in the basin, I look at Niall’s reflection in the mirror, he’s smiling, but I can tell he’s drained. This tour has been tough on all of us, we knew coming in that Liam was going through a rough time and would need our support, but none of us knew of the lows he had reached. Lou’s fed up of taking care of him, and Zayn, feelin’ guilty, has just been encouraging it, which usually leaves the two of us responsible for him. Imagine that, Niall and I taking care of Liam, the fans would have a shout, “Band babies taking care of Daddy Directioner.” That’s exactly why we need to keep it quiet, the last thing Liam needs is press attention and a million girls attacking Sophia. He doesn’t want to hear her name, negative or otherwise.

As we enter the sleeping area again I notice the balcony door open.

“Zayn mate, you alright there?”

“Yeah Yeah, just like, I’m feelin’ a bit warm ya know?”

I sigh and look over my shoulder at Niall.

“Go ahead bro, I’ve got this.” He says, not looking too enthused at the task ahead of him.

“I’ll be back to help…” I mumble as I walk away from him. I step out into the unseasonably crisp LA air and slide the door shut behind me.

“Hey, you can’t keep blaming yourself for this, he needs us right now.”

“You think I don’t know this! I am helping him!” Zayn says, whipping around to face me.

“You’re helping him forget his problems, not deal with them. Look at you, look at him, this room, this mess. You’re getting married in 4 months and you haven’t spoken to Perrie all week. She’s worried about you.”

“You talked to her?”

“This morning, your phone kept ringing, I felt bad for her.”

“What did you tell her?” he said throwing his cigarette over the railing with a little more aggression than the action called for.

“I told her not to worry about you, that you were just trying to be considerate of Liam and that you’d give her a call back tonight once he was asleep.”

“I should call her…” He trails off.

“ Yeah, you should, but Zayn, you don’t have to feel guilty about being happy. We all knew this was coming, we warned him.

“I’m gonna call Perrie now” He responded, ignoring my previous statement.

I took that as my cue to leave. He won’t admit it but I know Zayn is feeling bad for being happily engaged. Liam always compared Sophia to Perrie, we all compare the girls we meet to Perrie, because we all want the one; Sophia just wasn't Liam's. Unfortunately it took him longer to figure that out than it did the rest of us.

I step back into the bedroom to find Niall emptying a bottle of wine onto the carpet. He turns around to see a look on my face that I am sure resembles a surprised grasshopper.

"I figured spilled wine stain was better than puke stains!" He says proudly.

My lip curls up slightly, betraying my look of disapproval. "You're sleeping in here tonight" I say, shaking my head and walking into the next room.

Liam

I can still hear, I just feel too heavy to respond. I feel to numb to move. To content to care.