Chapter 13

Sydney

I feel awful for asking Niall to stay. It's his 21st birthday and instead of spending it partying with all his friends, he's staying in a hotel with a drunk and mopey fan. I finish washing my face and slip into some bed clothes before stepping back into the suite. Niall is sitting on the couch flipping through the channels on the T.V.  

"Niall I feel awful, you don't have to stay here, go enjoy your party." 

"Are you kidding? I owe you after last night. I'm pretty humiliated by myself." He says looking down at the floor.  

"Well, it will definitely top my lifetime memories list." I joke.  

He laughs. 

"Just imagine.." I continue dramatically, "I'll be on my death bed, my life will flash before my eyes, and Niall Horan pulling off his puke stained tank top will flicker by. I will die with a smile on my face for sure." 

He throws his head back and laughs, smacking his knee as a release. I sit down next to him and smile. 

"Let's consider ourselves even." I suggest. 

"Oh but the concert tonight was Liam's idea, not mine." 

"Fuck Liam!" I say without thinking. "I meant, that's not what I was talking about. I'm referring to me embarrassing myself while drunk tonight. We're even there."  

"Embarrass yourself?" 

"Yes! I always complain when girls get drunk and cry over some jerk who doesn't want them, and then I go and do the same thing. I hate myself for it." 

"If it makes you feel better, I don't think he'll remember any of it. And, I'm pretty sure he does want you." 

"I don't care if he remembers it, everyone else there..." 

"Who have never seen you before and will probably never see you again." 

"Harry? I mean, I'd like to see him again."  

He smiles.  

"I'm sure I could arrange that for you, he wont think any less of you for it. We've all had our share of drunken  nights. Plus, we know what Liam can be like." 

I let his statement sink in. Is this normal for Liam then? Treating a girl like she's special and then dropping her the moment another comes along? Different city different girl. But if he had ever taken another girl on stage, I would know about it. Heck, if he ever had a drink in public with another girl I would know about it.  

 “I’m just so confused; I don’t understand why he would be so nice, why he would lead me to believe that…” I can’t even say it out loud. I feel so pathetic for thinking that he could possibly like me. He doesn’t even know me. We’ve barely spoken, and yet: 

He sought out my room just to apologize to me. He slept beside me, and was so sweet this morning when we woke up. He could have left it at that, but he said he wanted to see me again. If he just wanted to bring me on stage as a publicity stunt, then he wouldn’t have invited me to the party, right? 

What if it wasn’t for the media? 

What if it was for Sophia? 

That’s why he didn’t mind the pictures of us from the bar, he wants us to be seen together. To what? Piss her off? Make her Jealous? Prove that he’s moved on? 

“When Liam drinks, he makes poor choices. Poorer than most.” 

I look up at the sound of Niall’s reply and am amazed by how far my mind can wander in just a few short moments.