6. We Need a Plan

"He got jealous! He was so jealous, Hannah, I'm sure of it." Jack beams once Danny is far enough and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, right. Because he's so in love with me that every beat of his heart screams my name." I scoff. "He probably just has some beef with Mark and decided to use me to piss him off."

"No," Jack glares at me, "he got jealous when he saw you two danci--"

"Hey, there." A masculine voice calls out from my right and I turn to see yet another handsome man smiling at me. I'm on fire tonight, aren't I? I need to thank Jack later for making me wear this dress.

"H-hey." Blushing, I stutter like a highschool girl. Even though the man in front of me looks good enough to eat, I know that my whole attention tonight will still be Danny's. Too bad he's an ignorant asshole.

"Why is a gorgeous woman like you not rocking the dance floor?" The stranger takes a step closer, filling my lungs with his cologne. Deciding to appreciate the harmless attention I was getting, I smile sweetly at him, just about to answer when another voice beats me to it.

"Because she's waiting for me." Danny's deep voice makes me jump in my seat. I didn't even see him coming back this way and now he's glaring at my potential dancing partner like he drove over his cat. "Can I help you with something?"

"No, I wasn't!" I jump into the conversation with a frown and shake my head.

"Yes, you were." Danny's glare is now directed at me and I swallow. Why is he so intimidating? His hand takes mine, and he tugs, urging me to stand up. Having a hard time calming my racing heart, I master my frown as he drags me to the dancing floor and puts my arms around his neck. He rests his hands on my waist, burning my skin through the thin material of my dress.

"What are you doing?" I manage to ask, sounding as breathless as his proximity is making me feel.

"You wanna dance, right?" He asks, still a little angry, as he sways us to the music. At least he's not grinding into me because that would be awkward. His eyes, however, are holding me captive under their heated gaze.

"Yeah, but definitely not with a jerk and especially not with you of all jerks." I smile at him when he glares at me. Getting under his skin is now my new favorite hobby.

"You don't know who you were about to let drag you to the dance floor, kitten." He states coldly, his hands pulling me slightly closer to his chest.

"Oh, honey, don't worry about me. I may be a kitten but I still have my claws." Batting my eyelashes sweetly, I flash him a smirk of my own. His eyes darken as he scans my face, a hint of approval passing across them, followed by amusement, then something else I don't dare try to figure out.

"Hmm." Tightening his hands around my waist again, he purrs in response, the sound alone awakening all my senses. Damn.

Deciding to change the topic while I still can breathe, I say, "It's none of your business anyway. Or now that I'm wearing a short black dress you're interested in me all of a sudden?"

Why am I so petty and childish when it comes to him?

"Who said I wasn't interested in you before, shortcake?" He asks and my heart skips a beat.

"I-I'm not that short." I stutter, blush, then pout slightly at my failing attempt to stay unaffected. Damn him and his handsome face. Even his voice is sexy. How unfair.

"Oh, yes, you are." His hands move to my hips and tug, pulling me closer to his body. I feel like an elf.

"See?" He whispers while I'm too focused on how incredibly safe and satisfied I feel right now in his arms. Looking up at him with a frown, I swallow, trying my hardest to get my head out of my ass and pay attention to the conversation we're trying to have. "The top of your head is merely touching my chin, and you're wearing heels."