5. The Start of Something

"Coincidence?" I narrow my eyes at the worst Cupid to have walked planet earth.

"Well..." Jack trails off, clearing his throat awkwardly.

"You knew he was here!" I hiss at him through the music.

"Yes, but I didn't know he was making out with someone." He glances back at them with a scowl, making my eyes follow.

Seriously, what is so interesting about her lips that he's not even breaking for air? She's not even that pretty.

Well, that's a lie. I can't even see the poor girl's face to tell. Pretty or not, though, I'm supposed to be the wife not her. Yet she's quite gorgeous from what I can see.

"I'm gonna be sick." I frown in disgust then focus my attention back on Jack. I'm gonna kill his blond ass.

"Don't start planning my death and listen to me. I did look for him but it is my job to do so, Hannah. I'm your, you know, and your friend too. It's my job to lead you to the right direction." He quickly explains, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Does this look like the right direction to you?" I cross my arms, tilting my head towards the couple of horny rabbits across the dance floor.

"Well, I didn't know. I'm sorry." He mumbles quietly, and I take in a deep breath.

Stay calm, Hannah.

"Anyway, you need to get over there and separate these two." He suggests and I glare harder. My eyes will fall off if I don't stop glaring at this idiot.

"No way in fuck, dude. I don't even like him. He's a jerk, remember? He can make out with whomever he wants." I shrug my lie off.

Yeah, because I totally, like, don't care. And that stupid bang of jealousy that's rising in my chest isn't jealousy at all. It's probably the greasy bag of potatoe chips I had earlier.

Jack raises his eyebrows in amusement. I clench my jaw. "Shut up and turn it off, will you?"

"Don't you want to go yell at him for what happened this morning? For ruining your dress, for calling it ugly?" He mischievously starts and I groan.

Oh, I see what he's doing, and shit, it's working. Daniel did say my dress was ugly, after he made me spill my drink all over it.

"For taking your cab and making you late for work? Don't you wanna yell at him for getting you fired, for getting you kick--"

"Alright! God! You seriously need to find a new method of persuasion because this one is dangerous." I warn before I stand up and take a deep breath.

I will show you who I truly am Mr. Daniel Whatsoever.

Carefully, I make my way over and cringe as I watch them make out and sway softly to the music. Swallowing the illogical, annoying lump in my throat, I take a final step closer.

"Hey you." I call but they don't seem to hear me. The music is too loud. I raise my voice a notch and try again. Not even a glance my way is spared.

Will you stop sucking her face and focus on poor little me, your goddamn future wife?!

"Hey you!" This time I punch the arm he has wrapped around the girl. I'm being petty, I know.

At least that got him to look at me, alright. And it got me to have a look at the beautiful woman, who is frowning at me like I just kicked an old man's crotch. She is quite tall, way taller than me, yet that didn't stop her from wearing heels. Her legs are so long and annoyingly sexy that I feel like crying. Her hair is as smooth as silk, and it falls gracefully all the way to the middle of her back. She was wearing a tiny orange sleeveless dress, that left so little to imagination, yet it makes her pale skin glow.