17. His Girl

Listening to the soft music that's coming out of the radio, I sip on my coffee and glance at Danny who's driving silently before I look out of the window and sigh.

Something has changed between us last night. It's like the air around us has somehow shifted. And not in the best way. He seems deep in his own thoughts just as I am in mine. Last night at dinner, I wanted answers, and I did get some, but somehow that only ended up complicating things even further.

I kinda hate myself for being the reason things are sort of awkward between us now. It's like I made him speak too soon and now he might be regretting what he said last night.

This morning, I woke up to an empty bed and found his things packed neatly next to mine in the suitcase that's sitting now in the trunk of his car. We had a breif breakfast that went as quietly as this ride. Naturally, I'd freak the fuck out because Danny and silence just don't mix well together. But after everything that we both shared recently, I'm more comfortable silent as well.

He said he wants to be a better man for me. Does that mean he wants go give this marriage a real chance or am I just too fucked up in the head to still hope for that? I have no idea. I'm even more confused than before but this time I bite my damn tongue and stay quiet.

"Take a nap if you want." His voice makes me jump in my seat like a damn theif caught redhanded. "We still have a long way to go."

Don't I know it.

Agreeing silently to his suggestion, I lower the back of my seat. I just hope this weekend fixes whatever I ruined between us and not make matters worse. Because I kinda miss him, even though he's right here.

Sighing, I shut my mind off for the time being, and drift off to sleep.

*****

"Are you okay?" I hesitantly ask the question that has been bugging me for the past four hours now since we've taken the road.

"Yeah. I'm all good. Just a little tired." He shrugs his lie off and I cringe. Seems like he needs more time then.

"Do you want me to take over the wheel while you sleep a little?" I offer quietly, a lot more self conscious than I normally prefer to be. He's just so quiet, so unfocused, so unlike himself.

"No, It's fine." He shakes his head and lets out a deep breath. I nibble on my bottom lip. "So tell me a little about your family."

"Oh." I swallow, redirecting my attention to find a suitable answer. "Well, you won't be meeting a lot of people, just a couple of relatives."

He nods for me to go on. Damn, this is awkward.

"There's Grams. She's the devil in a five foot nothing figure, honestly. Swears like a sailor. I kinda took that from her." I try to lighten the mood and miserably fail since he doesn't even crack a smile. "She's kinda evil, but harmless anyway. She hates my dad, but she loves me to death so I kinda love her too."

"Why does she hate your father? He's awesome." He spares me a glance and I catch his confusion with a smile of my own.

"Well, ever since Mama was a teenager, Grams kind of wanted her to marry her best friend's son. Uncle Josh, I call him. But then mom went to college and met my dad and they flushed Grams' plans down the toilet." I give him the summarized version.

"Is uncle Josh still in the picture?" He asks curiously.

"Oh, very much so." I nod, shifting a little in my seat to face him even though his eyes are on the road. "You'll meet him there as well. He doesn't hate Dada, but he still flirts with mom every chance he gets. Doesn't really help that mom giggles like an idiot whenever someone gives her a simple compliment. It drives dad crazy."