12. Let Your Guard Down

Hannah's POV...

"It's fine. Everything is good. You need to relax and just be yourself. Act normal. Don't think a lot. Don't fall for him. Just treat him like a friend. Like a buddy. I can totally do that. He's my buddy. Just a buddy. Okay." I finish my pep talk in front of the mirror, put my big girl pants on and take a couple of deep breaths.

"I can do this." I nod at myself one last time before walking down to the kitchen, hoping Danny would still be asleep. Apparently, he hasn't gotten enough sleep last night, since he looked tired as hell when he opened the door for me and was still in his same attire.

"Good afternoon!" His loud voice rings through the kitchen and I cringe. I jinxed it.

"Afternoon." I directly go to grab a bowl and the cereal box. It's almost lunch time, but figuring that out would require a conversation with the grey eyed devil and I'd rather starve right now.

Don't look at him. Just get your cereal and get out.

"How did you sleep?" He asks.

Don't act weird. Just reply casually but coldly, because, well, he's an ass.

"Well." I clear my throat.

"Okay, screw this. Look, Hannah, I'm sorry if I was a dick to you last nigh--"

"If?" I cut him off, raising my eyebrows as I grab the milk from the fridge. He takes a deep breath then tries again.

"Right. I'm sorry I was kind of a dick last nigh--"

"kind of?" I place the milk down after pouring it into the bowl.

"Fuck, I'm sorry for last night, okay? I was a fucking asshole, and you didn't deserve that." He states sincerely enough for me to give him a small smile.

"Okay." I take my bowl and make my way to the living room, leaving him in behind. Nailed it.

I turn on the television, and start eating, praying he wouldn't follow me and just leave my racing heart at peace.

"So, any plans for today?" Says his overly enthusiastic voice. Who hates me up there?

"No." I focus my attention on the television as I change through the channels. Maybe he'll take a hint.

"Well, I was thinking that maybe we could go have din--" My ringtone blasts through the air, cutting him off. Glad that he got interrupted, I pull my cellphone out of the back pocket of my jeans.

Mama.

"Shit. I totally forgot about them." I mumble before quickly sliding my finger across the small screen, accepting the call.

"Hey, Mama! How are you?" Nervous that I have totally forgotten about my parents and the fact that they know nothing of what has been going on, I smile awkwardly at the muted television, with my phone to my ear.

"Where the hell have you been, baby-cheeks? I called your apartment's landline but no one picked up. Your father is pissed. He misses you too much." My mom giggles, and I magically feel like all is good in the world again. I miss them.

"Aw, I miss Dada too. How is he doing?" I pout, wanting nothing more than to run into their open arms and somehow let them shield me from the outside world. Maybe I should've listened to her when she told me not to move out or get a job.

"Wait, what?!" Danny's voice makes me jump in my seat and stare at him.

"What's wrong with you?" I frown at him and then my eyes widened like never before. "Oh..."

Shit.

"Uhm, mama? I'm gonna have to call you back in a few, okay?" I carefully ask when Danny shoots up from his chair and starts pacing the floor.