♡ 35 - morning cup of joey ♡

(a/n: i don't remember who suggested i include logicality, but this one's for you

also you won't get your questions from the last chapter answered yet ;) )

The next morning, as sort of a "we-were-best-friends-and-we-just-reunited-and-now-we're-best-friends-again-and-seeing-you-again-after-so-long-has-reminded-me-that-I-am-in-love-with-you" gift, Logan showed up at Patton's new job at Starbucks with a box wrapped with shiny blue wrapping paper.

He presented it to him right after he ordered a Caffé Latte with almond milk.

Patton grinned. "This is for me?" His head twitched quickly, so he looked away, embarrassed. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize every time," Logan said kindly, swiping his card. "It's not something you can control. And yes, this is for you. I gave it to you and it has your name on it."

Holding it in his hands, Patton thanked him and put it next to his bag to open later. "Thank you so much, Lo! That's so sweet!"

A white-blonde haired girl took over the cash register as Patton went to the machines to make Logan's latte.

Logan sat at a table and waited patiently, listening to Queen with his earbuds in.

A few minutes later, he heard, "One almond milk Caffé Latte for the cute guy with glasses!" being called.

He looked up and saw Patton guide his co-worker's eyes to where Logan was, and Logan took it as a sign that the "cute guy" was him.

He thanked the man, and then checked the cup. And there it was: "Cute Guy With Glasses".

Looking in a giggling Patton's direction, Logan knew who wrote on the cup. But Patton poured creamy milk on top of a new drink innocently.

"I could say the same thing about you, Patton," Logan said smoothly. "Let me know when you open what I got you."

Patton's jaw dropped and he nearly spilled the drink on the floor, but saved it and quickly capped it. "Uh, okay! Bye, Lo!"

And then he realized he'd never given Virgil the gift he bought for him. There was still time, and he planned to send it to him after his shift.

Patton's shift was finally over. Almost every day, he saw the same group of middle schoolers who would come in and sit at the big table, screaming like they were alone and blasting godawful music from their phones; some even brought speakers.

He was tired in every way possible, but he held on a sliver of excitement because he got to see what Logan gave him.

He unwrapped it carefully as if he were caring for a baby. The corners of his mouth twisted upwards.

On top of a pearly white lidded box was a letter. He opened the box first, and at the top were two bottles of essential oils; one of lavender and one of chamomile. They were bounded together by an elegant baby blue ribbon. A bracelet that looked oddly familiar was right under it, and underneath that was a thick notebook.

Finally, he unfolded the letter.

Patton,

It's been a great experience meeting you again, and I see you still suffer from Tourette's. Now, I'm not always the kindest person you'll meet, and I can admit I can be snarky and blunt, and I know you need support. Writing would make me sound more genuine.

I mean this, with everything in me, that you are not strange. Your struggles are struggles many face, but like many, you will recover. Especially with Declan's passing to add onto your distress, I want to be with you to support you as much as I possibly can.

As a reunion gift for my best friend, I decided essential oils would be nice. I saw somewhere that you can put a droplet on your hand and the scent will calm you when you need it.

I hope you still held up your passion for writing that you said you wanted to stick to when we were in high school, because that's what the notebook is for. It's a bland gift, I know, but I didn't want to put flowers in a box. It just seemed off.

The bracelet was left at my house when we were together on our graduation day right before you left to college and I've been meaning to return it to you. I still have the matching one you gave me, and I guess you haven't noticed yet that I wear it frequently.

Patton Ambrose, you are a dream come true. I could never ask for a better best friend.

Sincerely,

Logan Taylor

all the world's a stage // prinxiety ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara