♡ 9 - it's okay ♡

(a/n: half of this chapter might seem like it doesn't matter and i was debating on whether to rewrite it completely, but i like it and i think it builds character

also how many musical references can i shove into one book the world may never know)

Virgil sat on the floor, tears streaming down his face. He didn't understand what he did wrong and he didn't know what Declan would do when he came back. He wished Declan's roommate was there to keep him company. He wished Roman was there.

Suddenly, the sound of a turned key silenced him. He wiped his tears and splashed water in his face quickly.

Nothing could stop his sweating and shaking breaths, but he tried everything.

The door creaked open, but nothing happened.

"Uh... Hello?" the person asked. "Declan? Are you alright, buddy?" He stepped into the living room and spotted Virgil crying into a pillow.

He gasped. "Hey, hey... I have no idea who you are or how you got on here, but do you need anything? A sandwich? Some pasta? Ice cream? A pasta ice cream sandwich?"

Virgil shook his head.

"Well, I'm Patton. What's your name, kiddo?"

"V-Virgil..."

"And what's gotten you so upset? And also, I should probably ask how you got here."

"Uh, I- I'm here because I was with Declan... He's, um, my boyfriend. A-And he left.. for no reason earlier and I asked why a few hours later and he seems really, really mad at me. He said he's coming soon b-but I'm scared and I-I don't know what t-to do!"

"Seems like it's not a very good relationship, huh?"

Virgil shook his head frantically. "No, no way. He's not usually like this... I just pissed him off, that's all. He might be drunk or just angry, and I can't blame him for that."

Patton smiled sadly. "You're still a teenager and you started a relationship too fast, huh?"

Virgil, confused, nodded and his crying became more severe.

"Kiddo... Do you love him?"

"Yeah."

"Do you need him?"

"Sorta kinda... He makes me smile a lot, and sometimes he makes me feel like I'm, you know, sorta smart."

Patton sighed. "Is he special?"

"He's delightful." The younger laughed nervously.

"And romantic?"

"Yeah. And... spiteful. And I'm not sure, but maybe so am I. Plus, he doesn't even act like that that much. Like, I get angry and defensive too. I mean, why else would he be treating me like this?"

"When you're together-"

"Yes?"

"Does he thrill you?"

"Yes."

"Is he vicious?"

"Yes? Well, not really. But again, I am too! So I think it's okay. I know he has his own problems to deal with."

"Would he kill you?"

The doorknob turned and Virgil entered panic mode.

All of Virgil's theories of what Declan would do were wrong.

Declan saw Virgil crying and automatically dropped his bag to run and comfort his boyfriend.

"Why are you crying, babe?"

Virgil, wiping his face, muttered out, "I- I thought, by your texts, that you were going to be mad at me or yell at me, or- or something, and I was- I was j-just scared! I'm sorry for being so clingy and worried, like, I j-"

"Hey, hey, hey. You're being dumb if you think I'd ever hurt you. I love you more than anybody else ever will and you're mine forever."

Virgil nodded. He was 19 going on 20 and he was young and, at times, too emotional to think straight.

"Right. I'm just not thinking and you would never hurt me."

"That's right. See, I can come off as a little aggressive, but I'm going to tone it down. I've been under a lot of pressure lately from my parents about getting a 'real job' or whatever. I shouldn't be taking it out on you, or anyone, and I'm really sorry. I love you, okay?"

Virgil stopped crying and he smiled at his boyfriend who had him wrapped in his arms. "You're my whole world."

They stayed in that position until Virgil remembered. "Where were you?"

Declan bit his lip guiltily. "I- I can't..."

"What? You said you would tell me when you got back. I waited an hour for this!"

"Virgil! I'll tell you! I need a minute!"

"Okay..."

The taller man opened his mouth to explain, but his knees buckled, he became weak, and he couldn't get words out. Virgil rubbed his back soothingly.

"My brother..." he whispered. "He got shot. A-And I'm so sorry for making you wait for me! I'm sorry I left without telling you! My cousin said it was urgent and I rushed out!"

"Oh my God!" Virgil gasped. "Is he okay?!"

Declan shrugged, defeated. "I really don't know."

"Wait, why did you need to take so long, though? I mean, that sounds so rude, oh my God. But, still..."

"I needed to calm down before driving... I'm kinda- uh- unstable?"

"It's good that you left. I forgive you. Um, just so it's clear, I didn't have to worry about you being mad at me, right?"

"Of course not, baby."

Virgil let out a sigh of relief, then gave Declan a small reassuring smile. "I hope your brother will be okay."

"Me too."

The two emotional wrecks fell asleep on the couch.

Patton was back and saw them. He sighed. He had a feeling that their relationship wouldn't last much longer.