♡ 25 - it sucks ♡

(a/n: what hogwarts house is virgil in? im thinking slytherin or ravenclaw)

Virgil's phone was blowing up, which he got used to because of the attention given to him by being in Falsettos.

Today though, it was mostly comments or messages from audience members of the latest show wondering if Virgil was okay because of his behavior at stagedoor. And it sucked.

He tried so hard to seem normal that day when he was smiling stupidly and talking to people who, for some reason, wanted his signature.

So many people asked if he was okay and he constantly had to reply with, "Yeah, I'm fine but thanks so much for your concern. I've just been having a rough time lately. I hope it didn't affect my performance. It was great meeting you today, glad you came 💜" until he had to tweet and post about it on his Instagram story.

And, along with the Falsettos Instagram account, everyone in the cast had posted about Declan's death and how they'd miss him except for Virgil. People also questioned him about that.

Nobody knew about his relationship with Declan except for Patton, Remy, and people involved in the show.

He stared at his phone.

Suddenly, he received a YouTube notification: "Billie Eilish - bury a friend".

Not cool.

Even worse, he listened to the song. While it was great, still...

Not cool.

He set his phone facedown and ignored the vibrating sounds erupting from it. Sure, he could silence it, but silence felt like the worst option.

He looked at his Slytherin mug on his bookshelf across the room.

Declan was a Slytherin too. And damnit, Declan helped him set up that stupid bookshelf.

And damnit, Declan helped him put together his all of his goddamned Ikea furniture. When someone does that for you, it's hard to let go.

He heard his call ringtone play and he picked up hesitantly. "Hey, Patton."

"Hi. How's my favorite ball of darkness doing?"

"Not great... What about you? You've known him a lot longer than I have."

"I feel great! I almost forgot about everything! I'm definitely not financially and emotionally unstable and in need of my friend who isn't alive anymore and I am fine!" Patton responded, his voice cracking.

"Everything is fine as I was definitely not expecting a text from him this morning asking me if he could get me something at Starbucks and I was definitely not expecting him to be sleeping in so when I went to his room, I was definitely not expecting for him to be there, and I was absolutely definitely not expecting him to text back to my 'how are you?'"

Virgil jumped. "Oh. Geez, Patt. So you're not doing too good either?"

"No! I'm not!" Patton threw a laugh at the end of his sentence, but it wasn't effective because Virgil could hear him crying.

Breathe. Your friend needs your help. What do you do? "Do you want to hang out today?"

Bitch. He's going to say no! He's going to want to be alone! He hates you because you're the reason his friend died! You noodle! FUCK!

"Can I? Aren't you busy today? And like, every day?"

"If you come to my show tomorrow, we can say hi at stagedoor and when it's over, I can pick you up and we'll go to fuckin', uhhh, Chick Fil'A?"

"You know we can't do that, tomorrow is Sunday."

"Shit. How about just my apartment then?"

"I'd like that," Patton laughed nervously. "I'm getting a call from my mom now, so I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Bye."

When Patton hung up, Virgil sighed.

He wondered how Roman was doing.