♡ 33 - curtain call ♡

(a/n: i will always reference dear virgil because even though it's cliche and badly written, it was my first sanders sides fic and it's my baby)

The stage lights were nearly burning Virgil, but that was what he signed up for. Another night, over, and during curtain call, a few teenagers in the pit threw a bouquet of roses up onto the stage.

Roman picked it up and saw the tag with Virgil's name on it, with a folded piece of paper attached, holding a note. Grinning, he held it out to Virgil who took it with surprise.

The audience saw this and cheered loudly, one member near the front screaming, "I SHIP IT!"

Virgil swept his dark hair to the side and walked a few steps over to the wings to ask Logan, "Can I read it out loud right now?"

Logan shrugged. "Sure."

Virgil nodded and did finger guns as best as he could with both hands wrapped around the bouquet.

The cheers of the audience died down when he opened his mouth to speak, reading off of the note.

"Dear Virgil,

"We hope you can read this out loud, but if not, that's fine too, because we just want to reach out to you. We're the nerds at the front in Falsettos cosplay."

At that, Virgil paused and looked at the teens who'd give him the roses. He hadn't realized before, but each of them were one of the seven characters and he gave them a small smile.

"That's adorable," Valerie gushed. "Can I adopt you guys?"

"Look! It's me!" Scott exclaimed. He pointed to the one wearing a Jason costume and waved at him.

Virgil kept reading.

"We follow all the cast members on every social media platform because we love you all but you're our favorite. (Sorry, everyone else.)"

The teenager snickered.

Roman shoved him playfully, then gasped in mock offense. "Rude!"

"And we're sorry if this makes you upset, but we just wanted to tell you we're so proud of you because you..." Virgil trailed off before clearing his throat and continuing, "you're still putting on eight shows a week even after what happened with Declan."

The entire audience went silent except for some murmuring awkwardly, just waiting for Virgil to snap, and some confused parents who didn't know about anything and only came to bring their kids, and were appalled by their non-family-friendly taste in musicals.

A quick image of Declan's strange, mysterious, and harsh but endearing eyes appeared before Virgil, then faded.

He nearly dropped the note. Roman immediately saw his distress and put his arm around him. He whispered so the mic wouldn't pick it up. "Do you want me to finish reading for you?"

Virgil nodded and Roman held his hand loosely for a moment, his warmth slowly comforting the younger one. He began to let go, but Virgil held on, twirling their fingers before settling on one position, and blushing at the aww's from the crowd.

Roman cocked an eyebrow at his friend, who was avoiding eye contact.

Then he continued on. "And we're sure the entire cast is proud of you too. You do amazing every night, and you keep apologizing on your story for screwing up for singing an E flat instead of a D sharp even though they're the same thing, but you need to give yourself some credit. We all love and support you endlessly, and we hope you're doing better."

Virgil felt like he was about to crumble under the lights, but out of happiness and confusion. A tear slipped from his right eye and he smiled sadly. The audience began applauding for him.

Playfully, and to hide his crying, he took a lazy bow while the cheering became louder.

"Sincerely, from left to right: Naba, Kevin, Chris, Connor, Arnold, Emma, & Alice." Roman finished and looked back at Virgil, who had become a mess, but a mess that was laughing nervously and beaming at the same time.

"Thank you," he managed to say. Roman held out his arms and wrapped them around Virgil, who returned the hug almost instantly.

He collected himself again, taking a deep breath. "Really, thank you. I'm gonna find you on Instagram and Twitter and follow you all back." He have a grateful look to the teenagers, who gave reassuring smiles and cheered for him.

Everyone was overwhelming him, but in the greatest way possible. And the lights didn't burn his skin anymore; they cleared his mind.

He took a look down at the roses again and leaned against Roman.

Virgil and Roman walked side by side to their cars.

The shorter one took a shaky breath and said, "Thanks for, like, helping me up there."

"Of course." Roman put his arm around him. "They were right, you know. You don't know how proud I am of you. And you might not realize, but you've come so far, and a shitty relationship is what everyone needs at least once in their life to get the hang of it. Everyone's here for you, okay?"

Virgil wasn't sure how to respond. Suddenly, his heart tugged and he felt the urge to lunge at Roman and tackle him with a k- hug. "Y-Yeah. Thanks. Uh, do you wanna do something tomorrow?"

"What would you like to do?"

He shrugged and his cheeks felt hot.

It's too soon for another one.

"What do you want to do?" Virgil asked.

"Chill night at my place with Chinese takeout?"

"You know me so well."

"6:30?"

"Yup."

He felt that tug in his chest again, and this time, he did lunge at Roman, but in a tight hug. It wasn't what he was thinking of deep, deep down, but that could wait.

"My car's here. Good night, Virgil," Roman said.

"Night, Ro."

Right before he got into his red Range Rover, Roman held his hand out to the younger one, who took it hesitantly.

"What?" Virgil questioned.

"This is random, but..."

He cocked his head to the side. "What?"

"I think you're amazing. You're just incredible, and I don't understand why you don't understand that." He gulped. "I like you, Virgil. A lot."

A long pause.

"I-I... Uh, cool, dude! Thanks! See you tomorrow! Text me!" He shot finger guns Roman's way and went to leave to find his black Buick. The whole time, his mind was racing.

Fuck. Fuck. What the FUCK, Virgil?