10

Dinner sat in front of the girl while Ashton sat to the side, patiently waiting for her to eat.

"Was it really high?"

"Not at all," he replied, knowing what  she meant immediately.

If she didn't eat, things could get messy for her and the stay would be longer.

"Please don't lie,"

"I'm not," he assured, "Please can I ask why this bothers you so much? Everyone hates being weighed, but I want to know your reason,"

"I don't want to tell you," the girl fired back, taking a bite of the food. Unlike she expected, it wasn't disgusting.

Down the corridor, Michael and Luke were in a similar situation.

"What's on your mind?"

"I don't feel well enough to eat this,"

"Alright, we'll put it to the side until you're ready. Do you have any idea of what has caused this?"

"Is Calum ok?"

"He is, I reckon he'll be back with you tomorrow,"

"Good,"

"What is it that makes him so good to be around that the others don't have?"

"He is really optimistic about everything, even though he's struggled himself,"

"That's because he's been here a while,"

"I can relate to him. He understand me even when I can't get the words out because he knows what I've been through," Luke mumbled, hugging his knees to his chest.

Absentmindedly, he started touching his wrist which Michael immediately stopped.

"And the new girl,"

"She's actually similar to you, I think you'd get along,"

"No,"

Michael didn't understand why this would be such a problem for him, because it meant more company. Not so much that his energy is drained, but enough to keep him going.

He couldn't always rely on Calum, both of them knew.

"I'm gonna have to weigh you soon Luke, because you aren't eating properly,"

"Please don't,"

"I know it's hard when your stomach feels like that, and I know you look down at that food and can't bring yourself to pick the fork up, but think of your recovery last time,"

The poor boy started crying, reaching out for his therapist's support. In the last few weeks, he'd felt so lonely and this was another tipping point. Without making a fuss, Michael hugged him.

The rules about it didn't take into account how isolated the patients would feel. If one of them was desperate enough to ask you for a hug, or a hand hold, or to tuck them in, you did it. No questions.

He gently rubbed the boy's back, quietly shushing him as his sobs slowed down.

"I miss my mum,"

"I know you do, I know,"

"When can I see her?"

"I'll have to check that one, but soon I'm sure,"

**

"Ashton, as great as you are, your face is starting to bore me," the girl said as he brought her breakfast through, watching as she slowly ate it.

"Well, the good news is you're meeting some people today,"

"Who?" she asked eagerly, dropping the egg from her mouth. Ashton scrunched his face up in disgust, but carried on anyway.

He knew this would be good for her to know some people because later her medication would start, and soon so would group therapy.

It wasn't exactly a sit down and talk every time, they did things together in their group to work things out.

And being the new kid sucks.

"My friend Michael is gonna see you first. You can just talk for a bit, he might ask you about some experiences but he wants to make sure you and Luke will get along,"

"The boy?"

She couldn't help but feel a bit excited. New people, new stories and at last some different faces.

"Yeah, him and his friend Calum are gonna meet you. Calum will have less of a problem talking to you, but Luke might be a little over protective because he still relies on Calum so much. Don't be offended, he wants to get to know you too,"

"What do I have to avoid?"

"Family,"