"Oh, I am sorry," he said a little too quickly as he pulled his arms away from Elena who immediately looked triggered by his actions, "Hayley, this is Elena Morgan, my girlfriend. El, this is Hayley Dixon, she is a friend of dad's."

"Your dad has friends?" she snorted as if that thought itself was hilarious to her, "That is quite unbelievable actually. He cannot even look at me and talk a whole sentence. I doubt he is capable of having a friend. He cannot have a friend."

I immediately felt the need to defend my best friend, "He only has a few friends, that doesn't mean that he is incapable of friendship," I told her a smile lighting up my face, a smile as fake as hers was, "He is my best friend. It is nice meeting you by the way. I absolutely loved your new movie. Killer Domain, is it?"

"Yeah, thanks," she muttered, not really pleased with the fact that I defended my best friend against her. Thank God for both of us, Christopher had not caught onto the negative strain between us or the tension in the air that was slowly developing.

She turned to look at Christopher, "Babe, come with me?"

Christopher immediately nodded, smiling down at her like she was the only thing in this world that mattered to her, "Sure."

I swear I saw Elena giving me the stink eyes before she practically pulled Christopher away from our little group to somewhere, probably to attack his face more with her kisses or something. Christopher apologized slightly before excusing himself from me and his brother as he let Elena basically pull him to the other end of the place.

Before I could reel out of what just happened, something else happened, or maybe I should say someone else. Wow, everyone is on a roll today. Attacking me one after the other immediately, without giving me a chance to breathe, that is really bad. I wish I could talk about this to someone who is sitting up in the heaven and planning my fate and inform them about how I would appreciate it if they just gave me a break and added a pause between me meeting one person to me meeting another one – the one that I completely wanted to avoid talking to today, the one that I did not have the slightest idea of talking to or meeting tonight.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Huffing, I turned to my side to see Nicholas standing there, gaping at me like a fish. If I had been in a better place, I would have been gaping too. Want to know why? He was wearing a blue shirt, the same color as my dress.

What will people think now if they saw me standing here with him? Won't they think that I am his date or something? I internally cringed at that thought; people thinking something like that will scar me for all through my life. Maybe I can just go remove my dress and attend my best friend's birthday party in my birthday suit. I mean, I should be allowed to have some best friend privileges, shouldn't I? I could always encourage other people to go green and go nude too. That way, I will not be the only one who will not be wearing a dress and it will not be weird. It will be absolutely normal to walk around naked in a sixty-year old man's birthday party.

James will have my head after that though, that poor man will get a heart attack if he sees such a scandalous scene in his birthday party and figures out that this was all my doing. His sons wanted to throw him a surprise birthday party, this was the birthday party and I would give him the surprise of his life by having a 'go nude' birthday party. I will do anything for people to not think that I am Nicholas' date – now that's a very scary thought to have.

Shaking myself out of my stupid thoughts, stunned that I could even think about all that in such a short time, I gave him a bored look, "I was invited," I told him simply, trying to look past him to see if James was here already.