"Is that screaming?" I asked as we crossed the border and approached the first Chevois town.

Everyone fell silent. The only thing to be heard was the thud of our horses' hooves against the dirt track and faint wails in the distance. They slowly grew louder.

"Father must already be here," Xander said. "I'm sorry, Kass. I don't think you will be able to quash this particular rebellion with words. It's too late."

Panic seized my heart. "No! We can stop them! Please, Xander, we need to hurry!"

He sighed, but he put his heels to Indra and spurred her from walk to canter. "Make for the town at full speed!"

We accelerated into a gallop and charged towards the town. As we approached, flames began to lick the dull horizon.

"No!" I yelled.

We burst into town. The huge buildings around us were burning, but it wasn't the Nohrian soldiers who were razing them. It was the rebels.

"We won't let you have our country!" they were chanting as they set their buildings aflame and started to flee.

I couldn't see King Garon anywhere yet, but the Nohrian army was engaging with the rebels and driving them further back. There seemed to be a lot of people for such a small town.

Then I saw Ryoma through the smoke and fire, and I realised that the rebels weren't fighting alone.

The Hoshidan army was also retreating, with Ryoma, Norton, Hinoka, and Takumi at their head. Before them, corpses were already being strung up by the Nohrians, and the wounded rebels who fell behind their allies were being dispatched quickly by spear.

Zodiac stumbled over something. I looked down.

It was a head.

Nausea rose in my throat, and I gagged. When I looked up, Norton was watching me as he reversed with the army. In the great distance between us, villagers were dragged from their homes and executed on the streets. His eyes were sad. I thought you were merciful.

"We have to stop this!" I yelled.

"Ah," Iago said. "You're just in time to help us destroy the rubbish that started this rebellion."

I turned to see him halting at our flank, grinning wickedly.

"What's happening here?" Xander turned on him, eyes dark. "We don't kill for the sake of killing. Some of those people are innocent villagers and their children!"

"Villagers are just soldiers who haven't picked up a sword yet, Your Highness," Iago said. "You should know that by now. Princess Kassandra may be making you a little soft-hearted, but we're just removing a risk, as you once did."

"This is no excuse to take innocent lives!" I said.

Xander moved closer, reaching out to grasp Iago by the shirtfront. "As the Crown Prince of Nohr, I order you to let these people go!"

Iago and his mount danced out of reach. "Forgive me, my lord, but the orders come straight from your father. As you are well aware, the King's word is law."

He turned and trotted into the fray.

"Iago!" I hollered after him. "Stop this madness!"

He drew his tome and shot a little boy who was trying to flee the fires.

"No!" I screamed.

The smoke thickened, and a breeze carried it down the street towards us. Everywhere I looked, there was a new horror. A Nohrian soldier was killing one of the Hoshidan wounded. I glanced away and saw the body of a villager being hung from a burning house. I looked away again and saw other villagers crying as they were bound together.

Hold...

The Nohrian soldiers led the bound prisoners towards a large house fire. They kicked and cried, but none of them could pull themselves free.

"Oh, gods." The world span a little. "Xander..."

"What is it?" He followed my gaze and paled. "No! Surely this level of cruelty cannot be Father's doing?"

The chain of villagers were pushed into the fire. They screamed.

My stomach churned. "Xander, I don't feel very well. I --"

I gasped as the world span again.

"Breathe, Kass," Silas said in my ear. I felt him pull me from Zodiac and set me on the floor. "Put your head between your knees and try to stay awake. Kass?"

But it was too late.

***

When I woke up, I couldn't hear anything apart from the ringing in my ears. I must have lost consciousness for no more than a minute, for we were still at the edge of the burning town. Norton and the Hoshidans were nowhere in sight. Silas was. His lips were moving, but I didn't know what he was saying to me.

Behind him, my siblings were starting to crowd around us, Xander dismounting Indra. Behind them all, Iago was returning. And King Garon was coming with him.

My hearing suddenly came back as if someone had burst a bubble.

"-- all right, Kass?" Silas was asking. "Can you hear me yet?"

"I can hear you," I murmured.

Xander reached us and put his arm under my shoulders. "Get her up, quickly, before Father sees."

"I think it's too late for that," Leo said.

Silas and Xander dragged me to my feet. My knees were threatening to buckle again, so they both kept hold of me.

King Garon halted his mount in front of us, his face like thunder. "What is this I've been hearing about your protests, Kassandra? And now you've fainted. Are you too squeamish to handle a battle? Perhaps you're not as strong as I thought you were after all."

"Kass is still unwell after her visit to the Ice Tribe," Camilla lied. "She's been feeling faint all day."

Xander put his hand against my forehead. "We should take her away from town and set up camp so that she can rest. Can you walk, Kass?"

My stomach was still performing a carnival act. "I don't think so."

"Don't worry." He hesitated, glancing at King Garon. Then he swung me into his arms.

I blushed. He may have carried Elise when she'd been ill, but there was something different about the way he held me. Perhaps it was how close he was cradling me to his chest, or how tightly his hands curled around me. Or perhaps it was the protective stance he took up when he turned back to the others.

Whatever it was, I could see that they were surprised. Even King Garon looked at a loss for words.

Until a new voice broke the silence. "My lady?"

Xander whirled around, allowing me to get a good look at the man who was riding into town behind us.

"Gunter?" he exclaimed.