Part Seventeen

Leonard's Point of View

I frantically walked down the halls trying to figure out where Sheldon might have gone. With all the rooms and sick people he probably went right past them so I went to the end of the hall. I could either pick left or right so I looked back and forth quickly and decided to go left.

My pace quickened to a jog as the thought of Sheldon, lost, in a hospital dug at my thoughts. I looked straight ahead and an elevator caught my eye. There was a plaque telling what was on each floor. I scanned it for the birthing center and saw that it was only one floor up. There was a staircase to go up instead but I figured it would be nice to ride an elevator for once since back home we always had to take the stairs. It was the logical place for Sheldon to go so I rode the elevator up there.

I stood against the back of the small elevator room and leaned my head against the wall.

Leonard chill out! Sheldon is a grown man and maybe just maybe he took care of himself this time!

As soon as the ridiculous thought crossed my mind I pushed it away. Who was I kidding?? Sheldon...take care of himself...nope.

The elevator halted to a stop after a few seconds and I stepped out as the door opened. I almost didn't see the tall, slender woman that was waiting outside. Something more caught my eye. Just a little glimpse.

The hair, the tight jeans...PENNY! My mind realized.

Everything stopped expect my mind. My legs seemed to be glued to the ground despite my desire to run away. My mouth was frozen open and my eyes startled. There she was, just like the last time I saw her...beautiful.

"P—Penny..?" I stuttered.

That was all that came out. It was all that could come out. Never in a million years did I think I would have to face her today.

"Leonard." She said with her head down.

It was like my mother would say it. Dull, flat, meaningless. I could tell Penny was startled to see me but she remained calm looking.

"What's up?" Penny asked casually.

I was irritated by this. All these years of silence and not seeing each other "What's up?" was the best he could come up with.

"Wow, Penny. Who knew after all these years all you would have to say to me is "what's up?" I said, already annoyed.

Penny sighed and out a hand to her forehead. She looked exhausted.

"Leonard please...not here." She begged.

I decided to let it all go. Everything I've been wanting to tell her all the years we pretended we weren't married.

"Not here Penny?!" I started with my arms out, "then where? When? We can't sit here all these years and pretend we never happened. All the time and love I've invested in you? Three marriage ceremonies?! Countless nights pacing back and forth wondering if I was good enough for you? Your just going to brush me off like you don't know who I am? I gave you my heart and you gave me only the replica of yours..." I finished, anger boiling in my voice threatening to spill over.

"Leonard, please...I can't do this right now..." Penny murmured.

"Why the hell not Penny? I'm your husband for God's sake. Or at least I was supposed to be?"

"Leonard—"

"No. We can't put this off. We made a promise Penny. Did that mean anything to you? Till death do us part? My vows...you singing the Toy Story song to me for yours? We're those just words or were they promises?"