Part Twelve

I fluttered my eyes open to reveal the back of the plane seat. A part of me was disappointed, that meant the flight wasn't over yet. I was sitting straight up with Sheldon still dead asleep on my lap. One of my arms around had a waist and I quickly pulled it away. I looked over at Leonard to see him playing 2048 on his phone. I tapped him on the shoulder, still half asleep.

"Huh?" Leonard asked as he pulled out an earbud.

I rubbed my eyes and yawned before responding.

"How long do we have yet?"

"I dunno maybe 2 hours?" He guessed.

I sighed. This was going slow.

"Did the snack cart go by yet?" I asked hopefully.

"Yea, like an hour ago," Leonard said looking down at his phone.

I sighed again. I could watch a movie but I knew I should get some sleep so I could walk through the airport.

"So? What's with this??" Leonard smirked as he waved his hands around Sheldon on my lap and putting down his phone.

"Not what you're thinking I know for sure!" I said not amused.

"Mhmm," Leonard said as he put in an earbud and went back to his game.

I looked back down at Sheldon sleeping peacefully. I smiled and rubbed his back softly. The rise and fall of his chest put me in some kind of trance and I stared at it for a while.

Wow...what's happening to you, Natalie? I asked myself.

I laid my head back again to try to go to sleep. My heart thought of many things, while my mind drifted elsewhere...

——————————————————

"Natalie??"

"Yes, mother?"

"What on earth are you doing?"

"Playing ponies mother!" Says 6-year-old Natalie.

"Well stop that. You look ridiculous prancing around like that. You have work to do. Come work on your study notes. Today's lesson is the Revolutionary War and it's generals."

"But mother..."

"But nothing Natalie, come and sit."

"No," Natalie said walking off.

Her mother shoots up and runs after her. She grabs her by the arm and yanks her to the table.

"Read. Right now." Her mother warns.

Natalie sits there with crossed arms as a tear slips down her face.

"I don't want too. I did this yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that." She whimpers.

"And have you memorized it yet?"

Natalie knows the answer but remains silent.

"HAVE YOU?!" Her mother raises her voice.

"No mother..."

"Than get to it, right now."

"Where's father?" Natalie asks quietly.

"He's around."

"Around where?"

"Don't you stall me, little girl. Read."