Part Fifteen

"Penny?!" I urgently asked as I got up off the ground.

She seemed to have a startled look on her face.

"Sheldon??" She asked me with wide eyes.

She was looking quite herself. A black shirt with white and yellow flowers and a pair of tight skinny jeans...yep definitely Penny. Her hair was curled as usual and she had that "Penny expression" on her face that I knew all too well. I had to confess while I don't usually miss people's absence in my life she did make an exception. She was always one of the more patient ones with me. She tolerated me and I trusted her in return.

"Why yes who else could I be??" I responded.

"Oh my God shut up and come here already!!" She said excitedly.

She launched herself into me and wrapped her arms around me...tight. With my arms trapped under her hug, it was quite uncomfortable for me. She knew I wasn't much for hugs but I did miss her so I simply patted her on the back as best I could. She pulled away and looked at me.

"Wow, they grow up so fast." She said with her hands on her hips.

"Might I inform you I am a grown man!" I said taken aback.

"You sure about that?" She joked.

I rolled my eyes at her "joke."

"Anyway, what the hell are you doing here Sheldon? You can't possibly be alone."

I hesitated and thought of how not to mention Leonard. It was a tough spot for both of them. I started to walk down the hall again to try and avoid the question. Penny only sped up to me and looked at me with an unpleased expression.

"Sheldon?" She asked flatly.

"Well...I'm here so why does that matter?" I asked uneasily.

"Because—oh Sheldon you know why just tell me!" She badgered.

"Oh alright, I'm here with Leonard..." I trailed.

Penny sighed. She was a bench near us so she walked over and sat down. I sat down next to her, I felt bad but not as bad as I felt for Leonard. I hoped they didn't see each other here, it would put me in such an awkward situation and I wouldn't know what to do.

"Penny? Are you alright?" I asked thoughtfully.

She slouched over and out her hands to her head.

"Sheldon I can't stay here. Damn it, I came here to visit Howard and Bernadette and now I have to leave. I feel so bad. I was excited to spend time catching up too." Penny said sadly.

"But you don't have to leave Penny. You can stay!"

"Sheldon no. You even know that I can't."

"I do...I was just—" Penny cut me off.

"Save it, sweetie, just go to room 154 and tell them I had to go...tell them sorry too," Penny said.

I wanted to argue but I didn't. The "Leonard Penny" situation was different. I had to address it in more of an "adult manner" as Leonard would call it. It was something I had to take seriously for the sake of both of them.

"Very well Penny," I paused, "I hope you know I miss you. It's hard without you around. Leonard is just so sad and moody."

It was true, Leonard could be talking to me about anything, then something would make a noise, or we would see something, or Leonard would say something and he would just...sink. He would change moods, sad, touchy, or even angry. It made me uncomfortable since I just couldn't process it. How could noises or buildings make someone so sad? No matter how much he denied though I knew it was because of Penny. It made me sad to think about how much they were both hurting.

But ever since Natalie came around it happened a lot less. She seemed to blindfold him from whatever was bothering him about buildings or sounds or words. She made him...happy.

I looked back over at Penny. She noticed my blank expression and smiled at me as she put a hand on my back.

"Aw honey I miss you too! But you know it's for the best right?"

"Yea..."

We stood up and faced each other. I lowered my vision to the floor in an effort to show the emotion "sadness."

"Don't be sad, thank you so much, sweetie. You've been so so good about this. It's probably hard but you've grown so much." Penny comforted.

"Well yes, b-but isn't it kind of hard to see the ones you love avoid each other after so many years of happiness?" I asked.

"Of course. But sometimes things aren't meant to work out."

"But Penny, your still married to Leonard," I confirmed.

"Yes I am, that's what makes the thing I did so wrong..." Penny murmured.

She seemed to drift off for a moment. Look at the floor with her arms at her side. He golden blonde hair draping off her shoulders. But soon she looked up, with a smile. A smile the regular old Penny would smile, but a forced, broken one.

"Well, I should go. See you around sweetie." She said, trying to sound happy.

She stood up on her tiptoes to my face and kissed my cheek. She started to walk away but I grabbed her on the forearm.

"Penny wait," I said with a little force behind it.

"What Sheldon?"

"Do you still love Leonard?" I asked quietly.

Pennys face sank and she looked like she just saw a ghost.

"Sheldon..." she faintly whispered.

Her voice was desperate and seemed to plead me to let her go, so I did. She jogged away and I saw her bring her hand up to her face, meaning she was probably crying. Penny didn't usually cry.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. That was my attempt to try and get them to talk to each other, an innocent question. It was much more effective than I had anticipated. I had never meant to make Penny sad, much less cry.

Now I had to go to room 154 and tell Bernadette and Howard that she isn't coming back. Then tell them it was my fault—me. The bearer of bad news and asker of stupid questions about broken relationships and the "Leonard Penny" situation.

Author- sorry...that was kinda sad. Lol, I hope this is good enough. I'm enjoying writing it. Thanks for 109 views, I hope we can grow. -Chloe <3