Flight

I wake up in the morning to the sounds of birds chirping outside my window. I wipe my eyes reluctantly, memories of yesterday flooding back to me in an instant.

I almost shifted in a mall — because of Adam — right in front of my best friend, and then hurled all over a vehicle before fainting and waking up in a strange hotel room that just so happened to be — Adam's! On top of that, I thought my parents were going to kill me, but turns out, me almost disappearing made my mother have an epiphany, and confess to a number of things I hadn't even known.

Now is the big day where I get to sit down with my parents and tell them I'm going back to Michigan to attempt to solve the mystery of a magical curse mark, as well as figure out how to shift again. Yay, me.

I lay in bed for a long time, just staring up at the ceiling. Finally I pull myself out of bed and throw on a black t-shirt, jeans, leather belt, black oversized sweater, and black ankle boots. I pull my dark hair up into a messy bun, apply some mascara, and then begin emptying my closet and dresser of clothes.

I pack all of my necessities into an oversized suitcase, making sure to double check my mental list before heading down to the kitchen where I found my mom.

"Good morning, darling," she says from over her book she sat reading at the island.

I grab a banana off the counter beside the fridge, "Good morning, where's dad?"

I watch as my mom places her bookmark in her book before setting it down in front of her, "He went to work early this morning, maybe six."

I nod in acknowledgement before taking a good few minutes of silence to eat my banana. Once I'm done I look to my mom again, "Listen, Mom, about yesterday," I start.

A few seconds later my thoughts were interrupted by a familiar scent coming from outside. I stop, swiftly making my way to the front door to peep out the eyehole. To much of my surprise, Adam stood in front of the door patiently waiting to be greeted.

My heart drops in my chest. I haven't even got the opportunity to tell my mom what happened yesterday, let alone conjure up a solid plan on how to tell them about Adam, or Michigan. For all I know, my mom just thinks I was out too late with my friends.

"What's wrong, Lynn? Is there someone at the front door?" My mom questions from the kitchen, and the only thing I can do is be satisfied that she can't see me from where she's sitting.

I panic momentarily, thoughts racing through my head at top speed. Adam could sense me from the other side of the door, so I knew there was no way he'd be leaving anytime soon.

What the hell do I do?!

Then he knocks.

I feel my heart leap into my throat, and before I could think of a different reaction, I was already opening the door.

"Are you ready?" He asks first thing.

My jaw drops and before I know it, my mother was already next to me, "Oh my god, is this who I think it is?" She asks assertively, and by her tone I was unaware of whether it was a good, or a bad thing.

Adam just turns his gaze to my mother, giving her a dazzling smile, "It's been a long time." He says, not a care in the world.

I watch as my mothers jaw drops almost clear to the floor as she gazes back up at a now, very grown Adam. "Is this seriously Adam?" She finally manages to ask as she turns her gaze back to me.