Release

Before I knew it, the summer months had passed and it was the start of my new school life at Davis High.

Nine months ago I was hit by a car while trying to run away from Dakota, and was hospitalized. There, they diagnosed me as comatose until I woke up in late October.  When I got out of the hospital, I found out that Dakota would not be the next in line Alpha, validated by his actions and involvement in the entire incident, as well as him not caring enough about his packs safety.

My Mom found out about the Mark on my back that traveled down my side and hip in July while a nurse bathed me during a unsuspected visitation. Apparently she told my Dad, who informed Brigs, who obviously told Kelsy later on.

All this made the Alphas and Luna's come to the decision that being in the pack house was unsafe for the time being. Dakota lived there, and without separation from the source, he wouldn't be able to focus enough in order to mature from his abusive behavior.

The uniting of me and Adam was called off because I obviously couldn't continue to stay there, but I later found out after waking up that Adam had given Dakota some pretty nasty scars. Apparently he was even missing most of an ear.

We moved, again, and this time completely out of Michigan and to the sunny, hot state of Florida; where we now reside in Tampa. This meant no more shifting to my wolf, which was somewhat okay — considering I couldn't.

When I was hit by the car, something happened to me. Something injured me so deeply that my wolf was forced into the shadows. I could feel her shallow presence lingering in the background, but when I tried to shift again... I couldn't.

I spent months mourning the loss of my wolf and learning how to half live without her. Not only was my human form still injured, but my body went through relapses, trying to shift at random times but never succeeding. Now I'm just empty, living in a human dominated world.

So it's the beginning of February and my mom is making me go back to school.

"Lynn are you okay?" My mom asks me from the door. I give her a weak smile, "I'm alive aren't I?"

Every morning she asks me if I'm okay, and every morning I give her the same reply.

She bows her head and rubs her temples with her thumbs. "I know, and thank God. I don't know what me and your father would do if we had lost you."

"Mom," I say as I swing my bag onto my shoulder. "I'm okay and I'm not going anywhere."

She sighs. "I'll be home later." I say as I walk past her to the front door where I pull on my Vans and step outside into the hot Florida air, closing the door behind me.

I put in some headphones and turn on the Alternative station on my iPhone as I walk to school.

When I get there, I'm late and have to stop by the office for directions to my first hour class and a schedule. A taller, Amazon-like woman points to the direction of the classroom and hands me a print out of my itinerary.

I walk down the hallway and up the stairs to room 411, making sure to take a second and peer inside the classroom at my surroundings before awkwardly entering the room. Everyone inside sat in their respective groups, yelling loudly, that was until I entered the room.

I slowly walk over to the art teacher who sat at his desk playing a game on his computer, "Hi, my name is Lynn and I'm new here."

"Obviously." The teacher replies dryly, not looking away from his intense game of WoW. "Take a seat anywhere, I don't care."

"Uhm, okay..." I say quietly to myself. I turn around to find the entire class staring at me and no empty seats.

Oh great.