Dakota .03 | Chp.13 | POV

A/N (7/25/2021) — The original chapter from 2015 has been altered in order to convey deeper emotion that will play a part in the storyline to come.

I watch the girl, and then I see the car. I feel the ground as I'm shoved out of the way as Adams screams fill the air as he sprints after her.

Dead weight — that's what it felt like.

I watch as Lynn is struck by the car at about fifty-five miles per hour, and I watch as her body is thrown sideways across the pavement. I see the scrapes on her body and the blood smeared across her clothes and ground beneath her.

I can't even move.

I try to process what I had just seen and I ask my wolf how he feels. He doesn't even flinch.

Human emotions race inside of me but my wolves emotions don't even register.

I get up off the ground and walk slowly across the yard, to the three people crowded around my mate, and just stand there. I don't scream. I don't yell. I don't say anything. I just stand there and watch as a bystander calls 911, and Adam cradles her lifeless looking body in his arms.

Tears stream down his face and sobs emerge harshly from his lungs. He growls in frustration and screams for my mate.

I can't even find thoughts to express emotions, let alone words to explain how I felt. So I walk away without a word, without a sign of mourning. Back to the house, closing the door behind me.

I didn't even care to help, and my wolf didn't even know how to act, so the guilt settles in the pit of my stomach as I make my way to my room. Sirens blaring in the distance as an ambulance makes its way to the scene.