Humanity

"Adam?"

My heart stops in my chest as I behold the boy I started to love when I was fifteen. The boy I was supposed to marry at sixteen to unite the packs. Now a man before my eyes.

He was still the same as I remember him, only this time he was bigger, broader, and taller. Almost towering over me twice as much as he had three years ago. Sleek, clean, and dressed in all black with fiery red hair that curled at the ends of his bangs, not as long as it had been, but a tad shorter and more well kept. His ocean eyes started tsunamis in my heart as we gazed at each other.

And for the first time, I feel my canines lengthen and my wolf pull at my bones, yearning for freedom and lush green forests with rolling hills and fog... but then the moment passes and I feel human again.

"Adam? Who the hell is Adam?" Aslim finally pipes up, tone drenched in overwhelming curiosity as she looks back and forth from Adam and I.

I blink a few times, her question pulling me from my reeling mind, overwhelming attraction, and intoxicating smell of a mixture between peaches, mangos, and honey.

"What?" I ask, looking back at her stunned.

Aslim gives me a disappointed look and gestures to our newfound ginger friend. "That one. Do you guys know each other?"

"Uhm," Adams voice finally breaks the awkward silence. "I'm an old friend of hers from Michigan. I came down to surprise her for her twentieth birthday. We haven't seen each other in three years."

His voice lulls my anxiety immediately, sounding thick and reassuring. I bite my lip slightly, but the sudden movement catches his eye and we make eye contact.

Aslim stares up at him pointedly, a questioning look in her eyes. "How long have you two known each other?"

"Four years, or so?" I say, turning to Aslim, and it was at this time that I began to get a lot of anxiety about how to even handle this entire situation.

Adam is here.

Adam.

"So you guys haven't seen each other in three years, but only knew each other for about a month or so..." her face goes blank, "and he's here, three years later... unexpectedly, without your prior knowledge or consent...?"

I blink at her, watching slight panic fill her eyes. Before I could open my mouth, Aslim was already jumping to conclusions.

"So you're a stalker!?" She points up at him, saying a little too loud for comfort.

"What!? No way!" I say, getting up a little too fast for an appropriate reaction to a question like that in front of the public eye.

"Okay, well that's weird either way."

I look down at Aslim's pretty face, but just can't bare the the sudden impact of cultural differences right now; my human life, and my real life.

"Aslim, I'm really sorry, but I should really go. This is somewhat overwhelming for me, and I really need to talk to Adam." I say to her, somewhat more sternly than I intended.

She gawks at me, mouth open. "So, then I guess you're just— okay, I guess I'll see you later... Text me." She stands up from her seat, obvious attitude dripping from her like a ray of attitude sunshine. I felt bad, this was supposed to be girls day, but I knew she understood that I couldn't help it.

"I'll text you, love you." I say, somewhat awkwardly.

Adams here.

I feel my wolf pull at my mind, subtly emerging from the shadows ever-so-slightly.

Adams here.

Aslim gives me a head-to-toe before rolling her eyes, "I love you, too." She glances over at Adam, staring brief daggers at him before smiling and walking towards the opposite exit as mine.

I turn towards Adam before I even register that I've turned towards him.

"You didn't help me when I yelled for it." I say as abruptly as I thought it.

Adam only looks down at me in shock, his blue eyes filling with regret. "Lynn, I—"

I walk away from him before he can finish his sentence and quickly make my way down the crowded hallway. My wolf whines every-so-slightly and the feeling of sorrow grips my heart.

The smell of honey medley that Adam emits still hung unrelentingly in the air no matter how fast I walked towards the parking lot my car is in.

He is still behind me.

The front doors appear in sight, and I half-jog my way to them, pushing them open hard.

I could feel my breathing getting harder, but move quickly in the direction of my car, not trying to make a scene in front of everyone outside.

"Wait." His voice dripped with yearning, and I stop at the edge of the side walk. I could tell he had absolutely no trouble keeping up with me trying to run away.

A mall was not the ideal place for this to happen. Especially considering how overwhelmingly more I've felt my wolf in my skin again, in the past fifteen minutes, than in the past three years.

"I think I'm going to be sick." I chuckle, stepping between a row of cars, still too far from mine.

I feel Adam's hand on the small of my back as I unwillingly double over in front of him. "Are you okay?" His question full of concern.

I breath in and out slowly, an attempt to catch my bearings. "I don't know why I feel sick all of a sudden..." I say, a brief wave of emotions making me light headed.

"It's okay, my car is right over there." He half points as he helps me hold my hair out of my face.

He gives me a moment before turning me to face him, tilting my chin up to look at him, "Lynn, are you okay?"

My wolf suddenly pulls hard at my form. My canines lengthen, and I feel my bones morph unchangingly. I could feel my wolf.

She's there, she's alive.

— and then my body slumps in Adams arms and weakness takes over. I couldn't move. I couldn't keep my eyes open.

They flutter, and all I feel is myself in Adams arms, dead weight, then it's black.