My Return | Adam .01 | Chp.18

The sky was dark and the city of Tampa was nothing but lights as the plane flew over it to land at the airport. I'm staring out the window when a flight attendant taps me on the shoulder. I turn to her and see her cheeks slightly redden. She was young, most likely in her early twenties, with eyes the same shade of brown as her neatly pinned up hair. "Hello," she says to me, a smile on her face displaying her straight white teeth. "I know this is inappropriate but-"

"The plane will be landing shortly." Someone over the intercom announces, interrupting the flight attendant. I look out the window again and then turn my attention back to the woman. Her face reddens intensely, her confidence lost.

"I know this is inappropriate but I was wondering if we could go out on a date-" she starts to ask before I cut her off.

"I'm sorry but I'm here to pick up my fiancé." I reply with a smile. "I'm deeply flattered, though."

The flight attendant glances at my left hand ring finger before quickly looking away and down the aisle. "I'm so sorry." She says quickly before taking her leave.

I hear the almost silent laughter of one of her colleagues from behind me, but I can't laugh with her because my mind was already set on something else; Lynn.

It's been three years since Lynn was hit by a car, since she was put in a coma, and since I had brutally injured Dakota. It has been three years since I last saw her.

On her sixteenth birthday we were supposed to unite our packs, but because of that entire ordeal, she was shipped away for her own safety.

The plane lands with a slight jerk and I sit patiently waiting to be dismissed.

----------

I check into my hotel room at 8:32 PM. The woman at the front desk hands me my room key and points me off to the direction of the elevators. I click the button to the twenty-third floor and swiftly board as the doors open in front of me.

When I get to my room, I shut the door and leave my stuff sitting out in the open in front of it, too tired to unpack anything or even move it out of the way.

I get to see Lynn.

Lynn — always and forever on my mind, and I get to see her again. That was what was on my mind, not the luggage, or the flight attendant from earlier. Just her as I slide underneath the covers of the blankets on the king sized bed.

I let myself smile to that thought and find myself slipping off into a peaceful sleep.

Finally.