Chapter 5

An inaudible grumble escapes from Levi's lips as he listens to Petra ramble on the phone with their niece. He sat motionless on the couch, face deadpanned and any movements uncommitted.

The thought that this all might pool over in a week and that no grudge would ever go held was nothing more than a deceptive dream to both of the girls.

No, Levi hadn't gotten over it and he never seemed to have no matter how many times Petra assured him that there was no reason to worry.

'No reason to worry?' As if. The older male scoffed at the baffling phrase. After the hell his niece endured after attending Scouts Academy in Japan he'd think she learn a thing or two about maturity. But nothing seemed to have gotten through her head, because she was there again with the same people who hadn't helped her the way they had to.

It was infuriating to think about. He isn't a father yet, and the only thing he has close to a daughter is Mikasa. Like hell he was just going to sit back and actually laugh about the fond moments shared in that hellhole.

"Well, I will talk to you later, Mikasa. Levi says he hopes you are safe" Petra says amicably, lips curling upward and eyes bright.

Levi flinched slightly at the little white lie and glares at Petra to which she flatly ignores.

"Hm, okay, bye. Love you" Petra hangs up and slips her phone into her butt pocket before meeting a stern gaze from her husband. She freezes in place, but remembering that there was no way Levi would lash out at her of all people gave her the upper hand. And even if he wanted to he knew he couldn't.

Steadily, she makes her move to him, careful to not trip over herself as she takes the empty seat beside Levi. "Don't give me that look" she puckers her lips as she throws an arm over his neck and plays with his nicely groomed hair.

"I didn't say anything" Levi's voice is hoarse and dry like he hadn't said anything in years. "Why did you tell her I hope she is safe?"

Petra straightens herself up, dropping her hand propped on the broad shoulder hovering under. "Because it's what you think anyways. You just don't want to put it into words" she pressed her lips against his cheek. Yet, he still remains keeping that impassive face. Despite Levi being moody, Petra adored this side of him. It shows he is very overprotective of what is his.

"Plus" she pauses after a moment. Levi's exhausted eyes drag over to hers. "That's your niece. You're suppose to care for her" Petra squeezes the shoulder her hand laid on.

A small groan emits from Levi, but successfully passes off as something vulnerable and concern. That, Petra depicted.

"I just can't believe you did it without talking to me first" he may not have sounded sad coming off to anyone meeting him first time around, but to Petra she could evidently make out the betrayel and hurt in his tone. It made her own heart swell uncomfortably and catch itself into her throat.

Her eyes drop, and her arm slowly pulls from around Levi's neck. "I-I'm sorry...Levi...I just didn't think you would have let her go either way. I wanted what was best for her. She hasn't seen them in four years" Petra explains weakly, doing her best to put together her thoughts while trying not to break down.

Going against Levi was something she never intended to do. But knowing he felt hurt and dismissed was more heartbreaking than doing it behind his back and successfully getting away with it.

Petra plays with her peeling red painted nails to distract herself from the uneasiness welling in her stomach. It wasn't a feeling she could easily let slip by.

This was how Levi always had her feeling. She could never win if he was always on another level than her.

"I know that, and letting her see them would be something I would want for her as well. I'm no guard dog, Petra. I will let her go places...just not alone" Levi sighs heavily as he checks his phone, a picture of his very niece when she was younger plastered over the lockscreen background.