48. talk

dahyun

"why did you leave me in jeju island?"

i blinked. i don't think i was ever ready for that question. i knew he would ask eventually but now that he has...i don't know what to say.

jimin continued by saying, "we talked about finding your dad together. but when i woke up the next morning, you were gone. why?"

i sighed, looking away from him. should i just tell him the truth? should i tell him how it was my mum who told me to leave? of course i didn't want to leave him there alone.

"i'm sorry.." was all i said. jimin looked away from me, he started playing with his fingers. he said quietly, "i was worried about you. you just disappeared without saying anything. i thought you died or something. it was only until roy told me you were with him that i knew you were safe."

"i never meant to leave..it's just," i started saying but stopped midway. jimin looked at me confused and said, "it's just what? it's about your mum, isn't it?"

i opened my mouth to say something but closed it.

"i know it is. just tell me, you're not going to keep anything from me," he said, focusing his eyes on me.

"yeah..it's my mum. when we went to meet her last time, she told me not to get you involved. i don't know why but i think because she doesn't want you getting hurt," i confessed, looking back at him. he looked confused for a minute, furrowing his eyebrows.

"your mum told you to ditch me? just because she thought it was unsafe for me?" he asked, his voice pitch getting higher.

"yeah, i told you, i don't know why. i think it has to do with my dad being in a gang. she might be thinking that his gang might hurt you like they hurt ms momo," i said quickly, forgetting that jimin hasn't heard any of this before. he just looked at me with utter confusion.

"what..." he breathed out. "your dad's in a gang? he hurt who? what?! why didn't you tell me all this!" he stood up, starting to pace around the room with heavy breaths.

"i didn't want to hurt you, jimin. i only just found out, too," i said. jimin didn't say anything for a while, he was deep in his thoughts.

then he looked up, his eyes wide. "it's written in the book, isn't it. that's where you found out all of this. your mum, she was trying to lead you to the answer all along."

i gulped, nodding at his words, "but she said you can't know about it, so forget it." jimin didn't listen to me, his eyes darted around the room suddenly.

"where's the book," he asked, glancing over at me with blank eyes. i sat still, holding my breath.

"dahyun...where's...the book," he asked again more slowly. by mistake, my eyes travelled to my bag that laid in the corner of the room. i saw the book inside, unattended. jimin caught my stare and before i knew it, he was racing towards my bag. but i was also quick because i also sprinted towards it.

then there was chaos. we were practically tackling each other for the book.

"let go, jimin!" i yelled, kicking his shin. he cried out in pain but kept his grip on the book, looking at me with a determined look in his eyes.

"you fucking let go!" he shouted, falling to the ground, bringing me down with him. i landed on the ground with a thud. we were both fighting for the book, sometimes getting a whack on the head by the other.

before i knew it, i was straddling him. using one hand to hold the book, i used my other free hand to smack his hand away. jimin grabbed my collar and pulled me down, changing our position so he was on top of me. he finally got hold of the book but to my surprise, instead of taking it to read, he threw it across to the other end of the room.