27 - puzzle

'you'll be fine..don't worry,' a man with a soft voice told me.

"sorry doesn't bring my parents back, bitch,"  he cursed, pushing me backwards.

"stop!"  he yelled at me, making my body rigid in place.

i opened my eyes to the new day, momo and i were back in our room. it's been three days since that day at the pig farm. i couldn't stand to see jimin, see anyone. i was too distraught to think about anything.

these voices in my head, they wouldn't stop either.

i looked at momo who laid on her bed, reading a book, and asked, "hey, can i talk about something?" she looked away from the book, nodding with a smile, "what's up?"

thinking for a couple of moments, i said, "a couple of weeks ago..i saw something. it was like a memory..like something important happened a long time ago...and no one knows about it."

momo raised an eyebrow, nodding for me keep going.

i continued, "the thing is..it was really strange. i was inside a box..and for reason, water started filling up inside. i was with this guy...i don't know who but..this guy..he saved me. he put me inside one of those inflatable castles..but..he died while doing it. i watched him drown..he basically saved my life.."

"wow.." momo whispered, looking at me. i gulped, feeling my throat go dry, "i just..i thought it was jimin's dad..but now i don't think so..it doesn't fit the description of what happened that day."

"what day? what happened?" she asked.

i sighed, looking at her, "three years ago..i was accused of killing jimin's parents." momo seemed shocked, she nodded and urged me to continue.

"i was accused..but i didn't do it..i know i didn't. my parents and i were friends with jimin's family. we always hung out together. but that day...they all just disappeared. my parents..jimin's parents..all just vanished."

"why were you accused of killing jimin's parents?" momo asked.

"i don't know..jimin told everyone including the police that i did it. he apparently saw me push his dad over the docks. i don't know what happened to his mum..i never saw her."

"and your parents?"

i shrugged, not knowing anything. i fiddled with my fingers, saying, "they filed three missing reports..my parents and jimin's mum. all went missing that day."

"wow...no one found them to this day?" momo asked with creased eyebrows.

i shook my head, "not even a trace. they only found jimin's dad's body in the water, he was dead."

she frowned, looking away.

i looked at her, a slight glimmer of hope in my eyes.

"but recently, me and jimin met an old friend called ray. he told us that my dad was arguing with jimin's dad the same day the accident happened. they had some kind of conflict. then after everything happened, ray said my dad went to jeju island to escape."

"oh! that's great then! you can go find your dad!" momo said with a smile.

i looked at her, saying, "momo, did you forget something? i'm stuck here, i can't leave."

"oh..right," she said, frowning.

"anyway, i know something different happened that day. i saw that memory..of me and jimin's dad in a box..i saw him drown which links back to the police, who found his missing body in the ocean. but..after talking to ray, it didn't make sense anymore. if both fathers were fighting each other, how could i have been stuck with one of them in a box? another question is why did my dad leave afterwards? why did he leave me alone? i just don't know.."

"yeah, it's one big mystery," momo said.

the bell rang, indicating for lunch. i sighed, looking at momo, saying, "thanks for listening..i actually feel a lot better."

she smiled, standing up, "anything for you, dahyunie."

   ---

alunaticdi