Reparation

Harper Coyle's P.O.V. (D4)

I wake up with a jolt, quickly tensing up and searching the room for the guards. My room is completely empty of any other people, much to my relief. I frown when I try to remember how I got in bed...

They must've sedated me...again. It's my fault though. I don't know what happened, but I lost it when Janice came to see me last night. Mari and Vinis were right...I'm really not ready to see her yet. I thought I was, but last night proved me wrong. Seeing her brought everything back, everything I want to forget.

But I didn't need to practically choke her to death! What is wrong with me?! It's like I was never really cured from that virus in the arena. I remember how horrible I felt when I had it, and that's how I feel now. No, I got the cure. That can't be it.

I sit up on my bed, looking around for my crutches, which don't appear to be in the room. Maybe they hid them from me on purpose because of what I did last night. I don't blame them either, I wouldn't trust someone who can't even control themself.

How did I let everything get to my head so easily? I was a completely different person before the Games. I should've been able to stay the same, but instead I let everything crash into me. Some people recover from crashes easily, but a mental crash?

I roll my eyes at myself angrily as I limp over to the door. When I reach it, I try the knob and freeze...

Locked.

That can't be right. Why would they lock me in?

I slam my fists against the door, calling out for Mari or Vinis, but I can't hear anyone in the hallway, or the rest of the apartment, for that matter. It's just silence...

"Hello?! Is anyone there?" I shout, again receiving no answer.

The thought of being trapped starts to panic me. I don't like this feeling at all. I wince as I hopple to the other end of the room to get a running/limping start.

If nobody will let me out, I'll open it myself! I don't care if I break my leg again in the process.

I take a deep breath and hurtle  myself at the door. I yell when I make an impact on it. A deafening crash echoes through the empty apartment as I bust the door down and hit the wall in the hallway, crumpling to the ground immediately. I grunt as I push myself back to my feet/foot and start walking around the apartment, searching for anyone and rubbing my shoulder.

Light floods in through the windows, illuminating the rooms. Everything appears to be the same way it was before, completely untouched. Even my crutches are still resting against the table. I grab them and lean into them as I continue looking around for Mari or Vinis. Even all of the Avoxes are gone. I haven't seen much of them around most of the time anyways.

Where is everyone?

I pause in the hallway a moment, staring at the wall where I almost killed Janice earlier. She didn't even try to fight back... I would've killed her...

I sigh and bite my lip as I move to the elevator. I need to get out of this apartment. I stare at the panel of buttons for different floors on the elevator wall. My eyes linger on the button with the number 3 on it. I want to go and say sorry to Janice. There's so much that I want to tell her, but what if I lose it again? What if I really do kill her this time?

I shake my head and hit the top button, which will take me as far away from Janice as possible. I don't want anything to happen to her because of me again.

A strange tingling sensation enters my stomach as the elevator starts to climb up the building. Just think, all of the floors I'm going past right now had healthy tributes in them just a few weeks ago. Now they're all gone, dead. Some of them are gone because of me, and I hate myself for it.