Death Toll (Day One)

Fate Greenridge's P.O.V. (D10)

I swing my axe over my head in an arch, crashing it down on the ice by my feet. The ice shatters, and under six inches of ice, I see calm water.

"Give me the water bottle!" I shout to Jordin, who is on the edge of the lake, setting up a tent we got from the cornucopia.

"Here it is!" he yells back, throwing the empty bottle through the air.

It lands on the ice and slides up to my feet. I take it in my icy cold hands and dip it into the even icier water. I immediately pull a purification tablet out of my pocket and plop it in the bottle and start swirling the water around with the tablet as I walk back to Jordin. He has the tent already set up when I reach him. The tent is completely white, perfect for camouflaging us in this snow.

Suddenly, the sky lights up with the Capitol seal and the anthem starts playing, echoing across the whole arena. We watch the faces of the dead appear once the seal disappears.

The first face is George Heights, from District One. Under his name and District, there is Kara Windfield's name. I wonder why her name is there too. Is it just because she is also from District One? Did she die too?

The next face belongs to Danielle Sottington. I frown when Geofrey Santer's name appears under hers. He's not from her District...

Wendy Watz is up next. Fynn Salasi's name is under hers. Okay, I am seriously confused.

The last image is Jeff Watz's, and Elsa Stane's name is under his. The faces disappear as the anthem stops and the sky returns to its darkened state.

Jordin and I look at each other, but he doesn't look as confused as I do. He just shrugs and says I can sleep first, and he'll take first watch.

"Jordin, aren't you wondering why they showed some of the other tribute's names too?" I ask as I walk over to the tent.

"Oh, I thought it was obvious. It looks like they decided to put up the name of the deceased tribute, and the tribute that killed them this year," he replies.

"Oh...I guess that makes sense. Goodnight."

"Night."