A Ride to the Capitol

George Height's P.O.V. (D1)

I'm still in shock. How could that little girl choose me to die in the arena? In fact, I will probably die at her hands. Every time I look at her, she is smiling evilly at me. She's actually crazy. Why would someone that young want to volunteer, and then pick someone as innocent as myself. I never wanted to do this, so what gives her the right to make me?

I have to at least try my best in the arena, even though Kara will undoubtedly be after me the whole time. I just won't go into the Bloodbath. Kara is bound to go there, that is, if she is accepted in the Career alliance. They will only accept her if they see what she can really do.

I stand up from the table and start walking to my compartment when Clara Cleanwood asks why I'm leaving.

"I just want to go watch the rest of the Reapings, see what I'm up against," I reply, glancing at Kara. She is still smirking at me. I glare at her before I go into my room. She looks startled by my glare. Maybe she didn't expect me to be like that. I'm not as much of a wimp as she thinks...

Elsa Stane's P.O.V. (D2)

I watch Ace shuffle a deck of cards on the table across where I sit as our mentor babbles on about survival techniques. Our Escort, Dana, is primping her auburn curls and admiring her reflection in a hand-mirror.

Our mentor is useless. Everything he's said so far is completely pointless. Ace and I already have everything planned out, after we make a few allies, that is. We are obviously going to be the Careers, and two or more other worthy tributes which we will recruit at training probably.

"So you two got that?" our mentor asks seriously.

"Mhm..." Ace says absentmindedly, still shuffling the cards in front of me.

Our mentor sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose, "If you want to actually win, then I would take my advice. I'm here for a reason, you know."

"Doesn't really seem like it," I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

He glares at me, "I'm giving advice that I used when I won the Games. It obviously worked, so I would use it if I were you."

I roll my eyes as he stands up and leaves the room. I can almost see the steam rising off his head as he enters another compartment.

"Did you even hear anything he just said?" I ask, turning to Ace.

He laughs a little, "Please, that guy's a complete joke. How he won the Games, I have absolutely no clue! Just got lucky, I guess."

"Lucky...yeah I guess."

"Hey," he stands up and walks over to the television compartment, "Wanna see if we can find some potential allies?"

I smile, "Sure."

Janice Senn's P.O.V. (D3)

My eyes flutter open. At first I think that the whole incident at the Reapings was just a dream, but then I realize I'm on a train when I look out the window and see the world whizzing by.

I must've passed out...

I stand up shakily and make my way over to the door. I notice myself dressed in a comfortable pair of pajamas as the door opens. I instantly hear the chatter of our Escort and mentor talking with another person.

"Oh!" our Escort jumps out of her seat at the table, "Look who's up? Are you alright?"

I nod, taking in my surroundings. The compartment is littered with the most expensive furniture and decorations I've ever seen, and the table in the center of the room is piled with food. A short man wearing glasses and with greyish hair sits at one end of the table, explaining something to a boy, who I have never seen before. He must be my District Partner. I passed out before I could choose a boy, so I guess our escort just chose one.