The Opening Ceremonies

Stephen Refiek's P.O.V. (D3)

Janice and I are escorted into the elevator the second we are finished getting ready for the Tribute Parade. Our mentor tells us that our chariot will be the third one going out, then the elevator door closes before he can say anything else.

I find this as my chance to finally get a few words in with Janice. I haven't gotten the chance to say anything to her at all since we've met.

"Hey, so I was wondering if you wanted an ally...for the Games," I start.

Janice looks me over, then she stares at my face blankly, "Sure."

"Really? Thanks! Do you think we should try to get one more ally? We need all of the help we can get, and the bigger the alliance, the more threatening we appear," I propose.

"Yeah, I was thinking that two allies would be good. So I guess that's you and...whoever else we pick."

Then the door opens. I immediately notice the scent of horses and the sound of hooves clattering on the concrete floor of the stables. Then I see a row of twelve chariots lined up and ready to go out the doors once they open. A stable-hand comes over and guides Janice and I over to our chariot. Like our mentor said, we are the third from the front.

As I look around, I realize that this is the first time I've seen the other tributes in person. Well, we all are seeing each other for the first time, not just me. Some of the costumes are brilliant, especially the ones for Districts Four, Five, and Twelve. For District Four, they have flowing robes that reach to the ground, with water actually running down them like a waterfall. District Twelve has it's usual fire-inspired costumes. The tributes from Twelve have dark suits with wires running down their bare arms that are lit with fire, making their arms look like they're on fire. Then District Five's tributes have matching armor that have the affect of lightning and sparks flying off of them.

I look down at our own costumes. Janice and I are wearing silver, leather, sleeveless shirts and pants, with a flowing cape that reaches a little below our knees. It looks pretty plain, but if we press a button on our belts, miniature white lights appear on the capes and shirt. Some of the lights were even put in Janice's hair. She has her hair in a half-up-half-down, but it's beautifully styled, giving her curls in the part of her hair that is down. I just have a thin headband around my head to keep my hair out of my eyes, but it's decorated with the lights too.

A voice through a speaker informs us that we have about fifteen minutes to prepare ourselves.

"This is our chance to make an ally," I say to Janice.

She just walks over to one of the horses and says, "You can go find one. I'll just stay here. Have fun."

"Okay, see you," I say as I turn around.

I only walk a few steps before I crash into the boy from District Four. I quickly apologize, but he says it was his fault anyways.

"I'm Harper, by the way," he says, offering me his hand to shake. I grasp it and give it a shake.

"Steve," I say, "Hey...you need some allies? Or have you already been selected by somebody else?"

"Yes!" he says, making me jump, "I mean, yes, I need allies. Nobody has asked me, and they don't seem interested. But I'm great with a trident and I know a lot about fishing and some hunting."

"Nice! You're with me and Janice, then," I notice his district partner staring at us. She looks pretty angry. I wonder if she wants to be in the alliance too. I nod my head towards her and ask Harper, "Do you two come as a package?"

Harper immediately replies, "No! She hates me."

"Lovely," I say and Harper laughs a little.

"Five minutes remaining, please position yourselves in your designated chariots, tributes," the voice announces.

"We'll talk more at training tomorrow?" I ask as I walk away. Harper nods before hopping into his chariot beside Gwen.

I climb into our chariot and find Janice already there. When she asks if I found anyone, I tell her about Harper.

"That sounds good," she says before the doors suddenly open.

The stables become filled with the sound of the cheering crowd of citizens as the first chariot rolls out. Then comes the District Two chariot. Then, the white horses attached to our chariot burst into life as if remote-controlled. They start walking at a steady pace and keep an even space between us and the chariot in front of us. I wonder how the Capitol people trained them so well.

Once we hit the streets, my attention is immediately drawn away from the horses and to the colorful and screaming crowd. I've never seen so many people. I can't believe they are all here to see us.

I smile and wave, remembering that this is when I should try to gain sponsors. Janice notices and starts doing it too.

The chariots finish the trip around the city and finally stop in the courtyard outside President Snow's mansion. Then the President himself emerges from the building, onto the balcony.

"Tributes of the sixth Quarter Quell, welcome! Allow me to remind you of what a great honor it is to take part in such a pageant. Even though it is already a high honor to be in the Hunger Games, a Quarter Quell tops that by far. Every Quarter Quell has shown us something new, unexpected, and surprising. As a surprise for this quell, I have invited the Victor of our last Quarter Quell! Everyone, please welcome Brenda Long from District Seven!" Snow announces, earning a loud roar of applause from the ecstatic crowd.

Then Brenda Long walks calmly onto the balcony with a straight face. Even though she is on a balcony two stories above me, I can still see her features clearly. She is tall with a slight build, for a girl, with jet-black hair reaching easily past her elbows. She has a fair face and a pair of thick, silver glasses rest on her nose. I heard that she is blind as a bat, but she won the Games because the Capitol sent her special glasses that restored her sight somehow. The Capitol's creations will never cease to amaze me.

"Hello, tributes," she says, addressing us, "I have been invited here to remind you that anything is possible. When I was only sixteen, I accomplished what seemed like the impossible at the time. I was just a regular tribute, reaped like everyone else, but I had a major disadvantage- I was blind. Everyone knew I wouldn't make it, even I knew, but I guess we were all wrong. I lived out the majority of the Games relying entirely on my ears...and my ally..." she pauses a second before continuing, "But it wasn't until the Gamemakers sent these glasses into the arena that I saw that I had a chance. So, I wish you all the same luck I was given in the arena. And before I leave, let me remind you, if you want to win, just take a moment to ask yourself how far you're willing to go and how much you're willing to sacrifice. Because sacrifices will be made, and the unexpected should always be expected. Thank you."

After 'The Blind Victor', as she has been titled, finishes her little talk of inspiration, President Snow steps up and announces each tribute's name as the chariots start to return to the stables.

~~~~~

Salutations, fellow Wattpadians! I would be elated to have the pleasure of knowing how the book is going for you. Tell me your favorite character if you like. (If you have one yet) Also, that star in the corner is hopping up and down, waiting for you to punch him. He's ready...he can take it. (Please don't hurt him though, he's my best friend on Wattpad) :)

Have a great day!

~MK