Day Nine (Afternoon)

Kara Windfield's P.O.V. (D1)

I trudge down the middle of a vacant street, hoping to find signs of a tribute or two. Now that we're getting close to the end, there's only about seven of us left. Therefore, it's exceptionally harder to find someone, especially when they're all constantly moving or hiding somewhere perfectly secluded and unexpected.

I for one, would never go through the trouble of finding somewhere to hide. First of all, I find it completely pointless, and second, why would I want to hide when I could kill? I must say, it feels much better being the hunter than the hunted.

I'm hoping to run into Harper and Janice, or those two from earlier, Wesley and Emma. I'm tired of them though. Plus, I've never had the chance to fight Harper or Janice yet. It could be eye-opening for myself, or for them... They don't know my power yet either. Of the two, I should probably go for Harper, since he's more of a threat than Janice. I mean, he's made like three or four kills already, I believe, whereas Janice hasn't made any. I doubt she'll be a problem. Sometimes the weak ones are fun to kill, but right now, I'm looking for more of a challenge. I got that from Fynn, but he was just too off his game after his stupid sister bit the dust. I also got a fight out of Wesley, but I wasn't graced with the pleasure of actually killing him in the end. I will eventually, though.

I'll kill them all. They'll see...

Ace Dawford's P.O.V. (D2)

Elsa and I leave the cornucopia and start searching the streets, checking every house as we move along. The whole arena gives me this "ghost town" vibe, and I don't like it. Everything is far quieter than it should be, other than an occasional puff of wind or a squeak from some unidentified creature. The buildings are busted and run-down, their paint pealing away from the wooden walls. The doors and shutters slam shut on they're creaky hinges when the wind gives them a shove. Most of the roofs are caved in or have several holes in them.

I keep a throwing-card ready in my hand in case something unexpected pops up. It also helps to take a bit of my edge off, sorta.

"I'm gonna go check this one out," Elsa says as she jogs across the street to another house. She points at a house on the opposite side of the street and yells for me to take a look in it.

I cautiously walk toward the house. It has a roof that hangs over the small porch, casting dark shadows on the doorway and windows. The interior appears to be flooded in darkness, but I walk up to one of the windows anyways to peer inside. The glass of the window is foggy with dust, but one of the panes is shattered, so I peek in through there. My heart leaps and I freeze as a thin, pale hand reaches out from the hazy darkness. The hand suddenly grips the windowsill and I yell in surprise, staggering back and hitting the porch-railing.

The person takes a step closer to the window, revealing them self to me. My eyes widen and my jaw slackens in disbelief as I lower my hand with the throwing-card, dropping it onto the wooden floorboards of the porch.

"N-Nira?" I whisper in exasperation, my mind going wild, trying to find an answer to how she is here.

Standing before me, separated from me by the glass window, is my younger sister, Nira... She died almost ten years ago in an accident. I blink uncontrollably, trying to comprehend the fact that she's somehow alive, and here!

She doesn't look a day older than the last day I saw her alive. Her face is pale and her once bright-green eyes look dull and ashen. Her long, wavy, brown hair hangs loosely, reaching well below her shoulders. She still wears the little white dress that she wore every year on her birthday- the day she died. This is too surreal.

Nira stares at me with a blank expression, no emotions even seem to pass over her features. She doesn't even blink as she just stands there, staring. I want to say something to her so badly, but I'm too shocked. Tears of joy prick the edges of my eyes as we share the gaze.