Day Seven (Morning)

Emma Orton's P.O.V. (D8)

Dylan and I trek across the rocky plain, not really aiming to complete a destination right now. The cloudless sky is a shade of vibrant blue which reflects on the river. A slight breeze gently brushes against my cheeks and filters through my hair, making me feel relaxed and content. The only sound to be heard comes from Dylan's and my boots crunching the pebbles and specks of dirt beneath every step we take.

I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant day. Just me and Dylan walking together on a beautiful day like this gives me flashbacks of home. We often took walks through the small woods behind my house. It was just us and the peaceful silence of nature. Something about it helped me to feel safe, so we usually would go there before the Reapings every year. We even went this year. I remember that Dylan seemed particularly excited for some reason, and I couldn't figure out why he would be like that on Reaping Day, the most solemn day of the year. Maybe it was because it was supposed to be our last year?

"Hey, Dylan," I ask, gaining his attention.

"Hm?"

After a pause, I finally ask, "Why were you so ecstatic on Reaping Day this year?"

I sense him slowing his steps, so I slow down too. He looks nervous, with a hint of embarrassment, like I just revealed his biggest secret.

"What?" I ask, shaking my head and laughing a bit at his reaction.

"U-ummm...well-"

"Guys!" a familiar voice calls from up ahead, cutting off whatever Dylan was about to say to me.

Dylan and I halt in our tracks and look toward a small grove of chestnut trees about fifty yards in front of us. It sounded like the voice came from there.

Just then, something clinks at our feet. I reach down and pick up...an arrow!

"Wesley!" I exclaim as we start running towards the grove.

"Hey guys, long time no see!" Wesley comments, jumping down from one of the trees.

"Long time? It's only been a day!" Dylan remarks, but Wesley just shakes it off.

"Whatever, it felt long," Wesley says, giving us both a huge hug, "I missed you guys! I should've just stayed with you, instead of Sabrina. I felt obliged to go with her because I've known her longer..."

"Yeah...so what exactly happened with her? We saw that she died yesterday," I say solemnly, shaking my head.

"Couldn't even survive a day without us..." Dylan mumbles, but Wesley didn't hear it.

"It was Harper. After the arena changed again, Sabrina and I immediately spotted him and Janice, so obviously, Sabrina started running after them. I went along with it, but when they reached the forest before us, I had a weird feeling... It turns out, they were prepared, because they ambushed us when we arrived. Harper came up behind us and..." Wesley trails off, "I think you get the picture."

"But how did you get away?"

"Well, I threatened to shoot one of them if they followed. They didn't look like they wanted to go after me anyways, so I booked it out of there. I don't think they've left the forest yet."

"I see..." Dylan nods, looking around. Finally, he asks the question on my mind, "So what now? Are you coming with us now?"

"If that's okay..." Wesley asks. I can tell he really wants to be with us again.

"Of course it is!"

"Welcome back!" Dylan says, slapping Wesley on the back.

Fate Greenridge's P.O.V. (D10)