Scores

Fate Greenridge's P.O.V. (D10)

Jordin and I make ourselves comfortable on some chairs in front of the TV screen. Moments later, we are joined by our mentor and escort. They seat themselves just as the television program starts.

"Hello, Panem!" Julius Flickerman says, introducing himself, "Today, our tributes went through their private sessions with the Gamemakers, so I get the pleasant job of revealing to you the scores they received from their performances."

Julius clears his throat and starts with District One.

"Kara Windfield, from District One, with a score of...6!"

I'm not surprised a bit. She couldn't do much in training, so I wasn't expecting much from her.

"George Heights, also from One, with a score of...3!"

George's face materializes on the screen behind Julius with his score projected beneath his picture. Then the image changes to Elsa Stane.

"Elsa Stane, from District Two, with a score of...7!"

Now that's more like it, for a Career. The average Career tributes receive a 7 or higher.

"Ace Dawford, from District Two, with a score of...10!"

Jordin and I glance at each other nervously. How did Ace manage to pull that off? I wonder if any of the other tributes will beat his score. You need to be pretty impressive to get one that high.

"Janice Senn, from District Three, with a score of...6!"

Same as Kara, so not that impressive. But then again, she would be in the Career score-range if she got one any higher. Then she would be a threat.

"Stephen Refiek, District Three, with a score of...5!"

I don't have anything to think about that one. I thought he looked pretty average, and he got an average score as well, so he must have the same skills as most of the other tributes.

"Gwen Reading, from District Four, scoring...an 8!"

I glance at Jordin again, but he's concentrating hardly on the screen.

"Harper Coyle, District Four, with a score of...4!"

Not much, but it'll do. I'm starting to get more and more nervous as Julius gets closer to District Ten, my District.

"District Five's Jada Quinton and Geofrey Santer both score sevens."

Wow. There's a lot in the six and seven range so far.

"Myx Averice, District Six, scoring a...4!

"And Cole Winston, from District Six, with a score of...3!"

Okay...now it's going down on the scale. Or so I thought. I stand corrected when District Seven comes up.

"Scarlett Salasi, District Seven, with a score of...9!"

That's slightly frightening. If she managed to get a score like that, then what did her brother get?

"Fynn Salasi, also District Seven, with a score of...10!"

I bite my lip. I wonder if it's too late to ask them to be allies. I would rather have them with me than against me.

"Emma Orton, from District Eight, with a score of...6!

"And Dylan Harrison, from District Eight, scores an 8!"

An eight is pretty impressive. With my luck, I'll end up with a three or something.

"Danielle Sottington, from District Nine, scores...a 5!"

I feel myself growing even more nervous. There's only one more tribute before my score is announced.

"Clark Larson, District Nine, with a score of...7!"

Okay...he's sixteen, like me, so I couldn't have got a score lower than him.

I lean forward, I notice Jordin shift his position too.

"Fate Greenridge, from District Ten, with a score of...8!"

"Yes!" Jordin shouts, standing up and punching the air. I raise an eyebrow at him, but then his score is announced.

"Jordin Clouke, also District Ten, scores a...9!"

Jordin just grins crookedly. I'm kind of surprised, because he seemed more excited for my score than his own.

"Good job," I say, giving him a thumbs-up. He just shrugs.

"Wendy Watz, from District Eleven, with a score of...4!

"And her brother, Jeff Watz, with a score of...3!"

Not very surprising for District Eleven. They have always had tributes that weren't very impressive. They usually die at the bloodbath, or soon after.

"District Twelve's Sabrina Lopez receives a score of...7!"

I didn't really get a chance to see Sabrina, or Wesley for that matter, during training. Shame though. They look like nice people.

"And finally, Wesley Carter, from District Twelve, with a score of...8!"

Overall, I'd say this is a good set of tributes. Well, I'd feel that way if I was at home watching it, but I'm here... It's scary doing the Games with so many tributes that got over a five. But then again, at least I'm one of the tributes that got over five.

"So that's all we have for you today," Julius Flickerman says, looking into the camera, "Very interesting set if I say so myself. I hope you're all making your bets. If you wish to sponsor someone, please-"

My mentor switches it off, saying that the rest isn't important for us to watch. Then he and our escort walk out of the room, talking to each other about some of the other tributes. Jordin and I sit there alone, staring at our reflections on the black television screen.

We stay like this for awhile, until I finally break the silence, "So...a nine isn't a bad score. What did you do exactly?"

Jordin shrugs, not looking at me, "A lot I guess. I did some agility and messed around with some knives, and spears, then I smashed some dummies up with throwing-axes. I guess that's the thing they liked. They seemed to be mostly interested when I picked up the axes. And I think I did pretty good with them."

I nod, "I just used a crossbow."

"Really? Wow. Were you any good?"

"Apparently," I laugh, "I got an eight! All I did was shoot the crossbow."

"They were probably excited because you did something different. Unfortunately, I've never really seen many crossbows at the cornucopia. They are rarely put in," Jordin says.

"They'll probably put one in there for me to draw me into the bloodbath. They'll do anything for more entertainment," I state.

"I guess so."

After a moment of silence, I stand up and tell Jordin that I'm going to bed. He yawns, but says he'll probably be awake for awhile. I don't say anything else. I just walk into my room, change into pajamas, and fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow.

~~~~~

How's it going, people? Glad I finally got this chapter out. It's taken me like three days to write because I've been a little busy. But I still found time to get to it so, here it is!!! Vote if you're enjoying so far! Comments are fun too!

:)

~MK