The Reapings (District Five and Six)

District Five's Reaping

Jada Quinton's P.O.V.

Opal Osminof saunters onto the stage, smiling through the thick layers of makeup plastered all over her face. Her outfit is decorated to resemble an ancient Van Gogh painting. Even though he is from long before the Dark Days, his paintings are still very popular, especially in the Capitol.

Opal scans the crowd before saying aloud, "Here's how this is going to go this year, District Five. All of the names, boys and girls combined, are in this bowl. I will select one name and whoever that name belongs to will choose the second person. Understood? This is going to be so much fun!"

I roll my eyes as she leaves the microphone to snatch a name off the top of the other names. She returns to the microphone, making loud scrambling sounds as she breathes into the mic, reading over the name.

"Geofrey Santer!"

My eyes grow wide as the recognition sets in. He's my ex-boyfriend. I dumped him a few months ago, and I'm positive he's still mad about it. That puts me in a very bad position. He's bound to pick me because he obviously hates me and would probably go so far as to throw me into the Arena.

I watch Geo climb the steps to the stage. He's actually smiling, and that disturbs me. I try to look away, hoping he won't meet my gaze.

"Geofrey Santer, seventeen," Geo says loudly, then immediately starts to scan the crowd, "Let's see..."

"You already have an idea of who you want to pick?" Opal questions, and Geo nods.

At this point, I know it's me, so I avoid looking at the stage as best I can. But then, I get a feeling, and I know he's spotted me.

"Jada Quinton..." Geo says. I immediately start walking towards the stage, remaining calm. Because if I show any signs of emotion, Geo will probably try to use that against me. I need to prove that I'm stronger than him, so that he regrets choosing me.

I snatch the microphone from his hand and say audibly to the crowd, "Jada Quinton, seventeen."

Then I politely hand the mic back to Opal, who is glancing at me and Geofrey. She tells us to shake our hands and turns to face the crowd, "District Five, let's have a round of applause for your tributes, Geofrey Santer and Jada Quinton! Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!"

I shake Geofrey's hand, but I don't show how much I don't want to.

"This way, you two," Opal says, gesturing for us to follow her into the Justice Building. Of course, she wants to make it look like we want to follow her, but we obviously don't. I start following her anyways because there are Peacekeepers surrounding the stage.

Suddenly, Geo grabs my hand as we walk. I give him a sharp glare, but he just puts a finger to his lips and keeps walking.

District Six's Reaping

Cole Winston's P.O.V.

The mayor begins his speech as he always does. Then he introduces the Escort, Harriet Hawton. She dances merrily onto the stage, spinning her lace parasol and making an awkward pose when she reaches the microphone. She's a little more childish than most of the other Escorts. Her rainbow hair is tied up in two ponytails by bright, red bows and little hearts are painted on her cheeks. She wears a light pink dress that reaches to her knees, but it has a really poofy skirt and red apron. And finally, pink ruffle socks that reach just below her knees and red pumps with little bows.

"Hi there, District Six! It's been awhile, last year, in fact. Allow me to explain how we're doing the Reapings this year, since it's a Quell! I will pick only one name from this big bowl and that person will get the chance to choose the second tribute! Isn't that so much fun?! Oh, I love this Quell so so much!"

Everyone watches her intently and anxiously as she plunges her hand into the bowl, swirling the cards around for a few moments. Then she finally pulls a card out and flips it open.

"Cole Winston! Come on up, please!"

What?! I think my heart just stopped. Nevertheless, I manage to automatically walk to the stage, trying to walk straight.

"What's your age, Cole?" Harriet asks, shoving the mic into my hand.

"U-um...fourteen," I reply, trying to take the shakiness out of my voice.

"So which lovely girl do you choose as your District Partner?" she questions.

I look at the girl's sections. I don't want to take too long about this, because I know the longer I take, the harder it'll be to choose. I better just pick someone and get it over with.

I raise my arm and point to a random girl in one of the middle pens. It's an average height girl with dark, long hair and freckles sprinkled over her pale face. She looks at me with striking blue eyes in confusion and shock. I almost immediately feel guilty and I want to say sorry, but there's nothing I can do about picking her. I can't tell if she's mad or upset.

"Myx Averice...fifteen," the girl says into the microphone, looking down at the ground.

"Lovely! Put your hands together for Myx Averice and Cole Winston! Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor, District Six!"

I cautiously extend my hand and let Myx shake it. Then Harriet takes us both by the hand and skips us off the stage with her.

~~~~~

What's up, readers, just wanted to say that updates will definitely be more often once the Reapings are over. I always take a lot of time with the Reapings because that's when I come up with the characters and their stories, and that takes some thought.

So anyways, just reminding you to not be shy to hit that star in the corner.

Also, tell me who is your favorite character so far? I would LOVE to know! :)

~MK