A Ride to the Capitol (Part Two)

Fynn Salasi's P.O.V. (D7)

Scarlett and I sit on the bed in her room, staring at the ground. I can't even explain how mad I am right now. I hate that we were forced to do this. Our dad is such a psycho. I mean, what father would want his own kids to compete in a death match? Honestly, I'm mostly mad because he made Scarlett do it too. She's not ready for something like this. But then again, it's probably best that she's with me and not our dad.

"Fynn, I'm really sorry," Scarlett speaks up.

"For what?"

"Because I shouldn't have volunteered. Or I should've chosen someone else. It's all my fault and now we're both gonna die!" she says, starting to tear up.

"Hey, I told you to pick me alright? It's not your fault. And we are going to make it as far as possible in the Games, I'll make sure of it," I assure her, wrapping my arm around her.

"I don't want you to die trying to save me. I'll handle myself," she says.

"I'll stay with you through the whole thing. Don't worry. How about you go to sleep for awhile? I'll be in the television compartment," I say as I leave the room. She sniffles and nods as I close the door.

Emma Orton's P.O.V. (D8)

I walk up to the door to Dylan's room. As soon as we got on the train, he locked himself in there and hasn't come out yet. He didn't even have lunch with us.

I sigh and knock a few times, "Hey, Dyl, can we talk? You should-"

"Just leave me alone..." I hear him mumble from within. He doesn't sound happy.

"Fine," I sigh and shake my head, "But when you're ready to talk, I'll be in my room."

Then I walk over to my compartment and enter. I take a shower and change into some more comfortable clothes before flopping onto the bed. I find a remote control on the nightstand and pick it up. When I switch on the TV, I immediately notice the top-notch quality of the screen as a recap of the Reapings starts playing.

I watch the other tributes get called, only finding a few that stand out to me. The little twelve-year-old girl from One looks surprisingly intimidating for her small size. District Two is the usual, two volunteers, but they appear to be friends. The girl from District Three passed out, so the escort had to choose the boy's name. District Five is nothing special, but the girl is eighteen and looks like good competition. District Six is two easy kills, it appears. The boy from District Seven kinda scares me with his hard stare and big build. He looks pretty protective over his sister too. Then comes my District...

I watch Dylan's name get called again and see him walk up to the stage. He looks so disappointed and confused. He stands on the stage nervously, obviously having trouble deciding who to choose. He probably knew I would volunteer, but he chooses another person anyways. Then I see myself rush from my section and volunteer. I did it so easily... I feel regret flow through me as I see Dylan's reaction on the screen when he sees me coming up. He almost looks in shock when he turns away and kneels on the ground.

I switch off the TV, too disappointed in myself to watch more. Dylan was truly upset when I volunteered. I can't believe I did that to him! I'm such a horrible person, and it's too late to go back. I just couldn't stop myself.

I shove my head into a pillow and smack my forehead.

"What have I done?"

Clark Larson's P.O.V. (D9)

"There's no chance of you getting her to be your ally, kid," my mentor states as Danielle leaves the room, "She is obviously angry that you picked her."