Chapter 40

Sang

Today was the big day, Charleston South Carolina here we come. We all ate a quick breakfast before starting the 12 mile trek to a little stopping point I'd agreed upon last night. The boys had been more than clear when making their point about not taking the goat herd into the main part of Charleston with us. I had been reluctant to agree but once they assured me the goats would be safe and unharmed, and I could take them back anytime I wanted, I reluctantly agreed. So while I waited at the Citadel Mall with North and Silas Owen and the rest of the group took the goats to a West Ashley park about 3 and a half miles away. 

I refused to let Nightmare or Arrow go with them but after giving the boys some grain to keep them there the goats were quick to follow their lead. I didn't like leaving them unattended but I knew enough that they were most likely safer at that unfamiliar park than in a town full of sick beasts and desperate humans. "You should have let them take the horse too." North grouched but I shook my head. "The stallion can take care of himself, he lived in town when I found him. He stays clear of beasts and people he doesn't know, he's even come to my rescue a few times." I smile to the handsome horse, affectionately scratching his neck as he leans into my touch with a snort.

 "I thought the mutt was the main rescuer?" North frowns to where Arrow is watching Nightmare cautiously. "He is in most cases, but there have been a few times when Nightmare helped, he can get very protective of me despite our occasional difference of opinion. I guess it could be because he views me as part of his herd perhaps, he has attacked men for me before." My words seem to surprise the two boys as they look between the stallion and I in question. 

"One time Arrow was feeling sick from something and I was taking care of him when a couple guys attacked us, I didn't even call him. One second Nightmare was off grazing somewhere and the next he was charging in and biting one guy on the arm that he held a knife with and he ended up trampling him to death. I got the upper hand with my own blade and took care of the second guy, the scar on his flank came from where the guy slashed at him before being turned into a human pancake." I shudder at the memory as I nod to the 6 inch scar that runs across Nightmare's flank. 

"I ended up having to nurse both of my boys back to full health but from that point on I've always had more respect for the stubborn stallion, even if he drives me mad sometimes. The wound doesn't even faze him, he was even worse off when I first found him fighting another stallion for some mares, poor guy was pretty bloody and hateful back then." I sigh as Nightmare nuzzles at my face in thanks for my scratches. "I don't know what's worse being mauled to death by the mutt or trampled to death by the horse." North grunted out. 

"From what I've seen the trampling is way worse, Arrow is quick with his kills by going for vitals Nightmare goes after anything he can reach and unless he hits your head first, let's just say it's a VERY slow painful death." I state grimly. "How you know that worries me Aggele mou." Silas mutters as I shrug back. "What can I say, I guess I just draw out the worst in everyone." I sigh as I take a seat beside Arrow while North continues frowning at me. "No Aggele, you bring out the worst in bad men but you bring out the best in us." Silas states on a murmur as he takes a seat at my side and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. 

I suddenly feel like I'm in one of those romantic books I'd read long ago and the openness he has with North standing just feet away is something alien to me. "That's one way of looking at it." I murmur and I know he hears the hitch in my breath at the wide grin on his handsome and smug face. "Do you want me to show you what you bring out in me Aggele Mou?" His words are a purr that sends my pulse racing along with my mind. "Um..." I'm starting to panic but I play it off as confusion with a hint of amusement. "Si, lay off." North warns lowly from where he stands but Silas still doesn't pull away.