Strange Messages

As the years go by one would think that time is capable of shaping people, the simplified way of seeing it would be a process in where the person, just like a fruit, starts as a weak and small thing that will grow each day, bearing with what life has in mind for it, then having a short period in which it reaches its higher form, until the day it expires.

But now it was painfully obvious that those rules did not apply with them. Or should I say with us?

Inside this conference room, with papers scattered in the table, with numbers and contracts regarding finances and commerce, the air of professionalism it inspires is awfully broken by the constant arguing of these two. The reason of the quarrel is unknown to me, as I usually space out during these moments, it reminds me of a turbulent time of my life so I tend to deviate my attention to something else, like those delicious eggrolls waiting for me in my fridge.

Why do I keep coming to these meetings when I already know that we will achieve nothing?

Why do I have to bear with these two when I could be discussing important matters with Taiwan?

Why am I here?

"Hey China! Yao! "

I looked up to see America, or the United States personification waving his hand in front of my face, maybe I should call him Alfred, he has just used my name after all. But then again why would I do that? Our relations are not close enough, and I don't like him that much anyways.

"Pay attention to me! You need to lecture your Russian friend on how not to interfere with other countries governments!"

I blink, not understanding his point. A pair of hands is resting on my shoulders now, I do not have to turn to know who they belong to.

"You do not have the moral authority to request that, America." I know that he finishes the sentence with a grin on his face.

"You do not have morality at all, Russia." America shrugs, and takes a file from the table. "Now, regarding an actual shocking fact, I have a proposition for you, Yao."

The pair of hands in my shoulders disappears and I feel relieved. I see a glimpse of his face, Russia's face, he is serious, without a trace of his usual smile, he starts writing down on a paper. I turned to America, he is handing me the file, and I hesitate but end up taking it.

Seeing them in front of me I can tell for instance that growing up physically does not mean to increase equally in maturity.

The two of them are quite similar. Even though they will never accept it. I wonder if the reason why they don't seem to get along is due to the fact that they are the reflection of what the other wishes for or maybe they both wish for the same thing.

Reading the file's title I can see that he wants to increase the trades between our countries, I would think it to be a positive act if I didn't know him well, I'll have to revise the file carefully to understand the trap.

Closing the file I say what he is expecting. "I will examine your proposition and answer you as soon as possible."

How weird, he is not smiling either, did he gave me wrong file? Or is he still thinking about Russia's issue.

A folded piece of paper is placed on top of the file by Russia. What is going on? I am about to open it but America takes a hold of my hand.

"But Yao I was expecting an immediate answer, I have a busy schedule now and I have to sort out some business with Germany as well as with Ukraine."

I stiffen at the sound of that last name and retreat my hand, now I understand, this isn't about me, this is about him and Russia, why do they have to be so childish? I don't want to be in the middle of this. I might share some borders with Russia but I cannot possibly persuade him to change his foreign politics. I already tried that once and it didn't turned out well, I don't have to mediate between them, is not my obligation, is it? Alright maybe it is now, but why would I try? The best for my country is to have these two against each other so they don't realize that I am trying to replace them both in the podium of world power. Why am I even thinking about this? It sounds like a plan for world domination. America is still talking, he placed a hand on my shoulder, I have to focus.

"Perhaps you should read the last page."

"The last page? I think I'd better read the whole thing." I said humorously.

The hold on my shoulder tightens. I don't like this, him or anyone to have this kind of contact with me, it makes me feel weak, and he knows it. He sighs and stands up, I no longer feel his hand on my shoulder.

I take the file and the paper and stand up biding them a polite goodbye. When I close the door I can hear America saying "I call it a draw."

I sigh, of course it is. I didn't agree with any of them. These idiots need to understand that I am not going to play their games.

When I am finally out of the building, I go to one of those fast-food restaurants around the corner, America always talks about its hamburgers, even though I am not a fan of them but I do like them from time to time, not that I will ever tell this to America. Once in the table I decided to look at the folded paper. It has a scrappy handwriting but it turns out to be legible nevertheless.

"I would like to discuss a personal matter with you after this meeting, could you please wait until America is gone?"

It doesn't surprise me as much as it should, in fact it is nothing new, but the whole mysterious aura inside the meeting room plus the message leaves a weird effect lingering on me.

Maybe I should come back and wait. But what does "a personal matter" mean? I cannot risk to be trapped in any problem right now. But personal means it has nothing to do with politics, maybe he wants to talk about his sisters?

I took out my phone and send a message to him, if he wants to talk we can do that here. Is not the best place but the only one who knows us here is Alfred and I doubt he will come after Russia. In a matter of seconds I get an affirmative reply followed by some smileys? Is that what Hong Kong called them last time? Whatever, it is still weird coming from Russia.

I take a look at the last page of the file America gave me. How weird, there is just a line on it. Oh no, what have I gotten myself into?

"Hey China, wanna have lunch with me? ;) "